British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction Zone (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   badges of the standing british army 1914 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12437)

patrick castle 14-09-10 09:25 PM

badges of the standing british army 1914

Hallo to all the members my main collecting area and interest has been the units that formed the 1914 b.e.f. Ihave put together a display of infantry and cavalry with bothbadges and arm titles for the old professional army before it was mostly destroyed between aug and nov i914 I have a few cavalry and some arm titles still to find before it is all framed up and displayed in the study

Jibba Jabba 15-09-10 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Patrick, There is a book you might be interested in (no photographs) only line drawings called "Our Regiments and Their Glorious Records" by Charles White. It was published in 1915 and I believe it would be a useful to you. There is lots of information in there about the 1914 army. Each regiment is covered briefly, the main body text can be found to the front and the rear of the book that provides considerably more detail.

mooke07 17-09-10 07:54 AM

Thanks for the post Patrick,

I wish I had the discipline to focus my collecting to a timeframe like you have, I seem to just add quality British badges!

My maternal Grandfather, Pte Harry Morley was KIA with the 1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment on the 8th Dec 1914 after embrakation with the BEF on the 13th August 1914.

I have nothing of his life and service except a copy of his medal record card, a photo of his name on the Menin Gate and on the village war memorial in Ropsely in Lincolnshire where the family came from. However, I have a growing collection of Lincolnshire badges that I treasure as a memory of him and that of my late father who also served in the Lincolnshire regiment.

May your collection grow and honour those of the proud and professional soldiers that were the 1914 BEF.

My best regards Dean.

oc14 17-09-10 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick castle (Post 82440)
Hallo to all the members my main collecting area and interest has been the units that formed the 1914 b.e.f. Ihave put together a display of infantry and cavalry with bothbadges and arm titles for the old professional army before it was mostly destroyed between aug and nov i914 I have a few cavalry and some arm titles still to find before it is all framed up and displayed in the study

Hello Pat and welcome to the forum, gald you found it ! Hope that you find plenty of useful reference on here. Why not advertise for the shoulder titles that you are still missing-someone on here may be able to help

regards

Paul L

Recce 26-09-10 05:27 PM

Welcome to BCMBF Nice to have you on board, have an informative time,
and your contribution is appreciated.

Thank You for your time.