British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kitchener's Fighting Scouts (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84472)

Tinto 18-04-21 07:53 PM

Kitchener's Fighting Scouts

Hi South African guys,
I'm interested in the relative scarcity/value of the badges worn by Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.
Surfing the internet, I have come across pictures of the KFS slouch hat badge and varying shoulder titles KFS, K-F-S, i/K-F-S, and 2/K-F-S.
Thanks, John

Milmed 19-04-21 04:21 AM

KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken :) - You must have been hungry when typing this

I think the badges you see were KFS and they do come up from time to time. I would say moderately rare

Tinto 19-04-21 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milmed (Post 546575)
KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken :) - You must have been hungry when typing this

I think the badges you see were KFS and they do come up from time to time. I would say moderately rare

Wow! What can I say? Maybe you are right. I had better correct my post.
Thanks, John

Frank Kelley 19-04-21 08:43 AM

The original SAMIF regiments badges are fairly easy to find and not particularly scarce, it was a very sizable regiment, as well as being one of the best anti commando units in the field, but, the subsequent Transvaal Volunteer regiment is much harder, it only existed for a very brief period, the name was simply too contentious.
Be careful with the formers shoulder titles, a quantity were made here a few years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 546552)
Hi South African guys,
I'm interested in the relative scarcity/value of the badges worn by Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.
Surfing the internet, I have come across pictures of the KFS slouch hat badge and varying shoulder titles KFS, K-F-S, i/K-F-S, and 2/K-F-S.
Thanks, John

Tinto 19-04-21 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 546586)
The original SAMIF regiments badges are fairly easy to find and not particularly scarce, it was a very sizable regiment, as well as being one of the best anti commando units in the field, but, the subsequent Transvaal Volunteer regiment is much harder, it only existed for a very brief period, the name was simply too contentious.
Be careful with the formers shoulder titles, a quantity were made here a few years ago.

Thanks for your replies.
I was wondering about the relative numbers of say the 1/KFS titles to the 2/KFS or the KFS titles.
Regards, John

Frank Kelley 21-04-21 07:30 AM

I think, certainly from memory that both regiments were raised actually on the same day in Pretoria, the 23rd of November 1900, but, with the shoulder titles, I would have thought the KFS title was worn quite early on, with the specific regimental titles being subsequently made a little later, they are certainly far scarcer with, perhaps, the second being a little scarcer than the first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 546643)
Thanks for your replies.
I was wondering about the relative numbers of say the 1/KFS titles to the 2/KFS or the KFS titles.
Regards, John

Tinto 21-04-21 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 546732)
I think, certainly from memory that both regiments were raised actually on the same day in Pretoria, the 23rd of November 1900, but, with the shoulder titles, I would have thought the KFS title was worn quite early on, with the specific regimental titles being subsequently made a little later, they are certainly far scarcer with, perhaps, the second being a little scarcer than the first.

Thanks for your comments, Frank. Much appreciated.
Cheers, John

Frank Kelley 22-04-21 07:42 AM

Just be careful and have a good look before parting with any money, they should be incised with the numeral applied and not die cast as a single piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 546825)
Thanks for your comments, Frank. Much appreciated.
Cheers, John

Tinto 23-04-21 11:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 546862)
Just be careful and have a good look before parting with any money, they should be incised with the numeral applied and not die cast as a single piece.

Thanks for the tip, Frank. I only have one example.
I hope it meets that criteria.
Cheers, John

Frank Kelley 24-04-21 05:28 PM

It certainly looks okay!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 547049)
Thanks for the tip, Frank. I only have one example.
I hope it meets that criteria.
Cheers, John

Tinto 24-04-21 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547100)
It certainly looks okay!

Thanks for the confirmation, Frank.
Cheers, John