British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Army Veterinary Corps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91743)

Sonofacqms 28-11-22 02:57 PM

Army Veterinary Corps

2 Attachment(s)
Another badge that was included in the collection I recently bought, the Army Veterinary Corps in all brass. Was this badge ever issued as an economy?

Your thoughts welcome!

Regards Rob

Luke H 28-11-22 03:36 PM

There was no official all GM issue for the AVC in the 1916 tenders.

Yet I am in no doubt yours and others are genuine period pieces.

Another badge that records (or at least those found to date) do not appear to fully account for.

Sonofacqms 28-11-22 04:05 PM

AVC

Luke,
Thanks for your reply I am sure there must be many instances of badges worn that were never recorded, this one will go on my AVC board.

Rob

Alan O 28-11-22 05:44 PM

I have one too and I would agree it's correct.

Sonofacqms 28-11-22 06:27 PM

Army Veterinary Corps

Alan, thanks for letting me know you have one, I have never seen another before.

Rob

Luke H 28-11-22 06:53 PM

I have one too. You do see them from time to time. A couple have been on eBay the last month or so.

Some ex forum members turned dealers will charge upwards of £60 for the pleasure of owning such a badge.

arrestingu 28-11-22 07:09 PM

yes i have same, it correct.
regards steve

Phil2M 28-11-22 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 592072)
I have one too. You do see them from time to time. A couple have been on eBay the last month or so.

Some ex forum members turned dealers will charge upwards of £60 for the pleasure of owning such a badge.

He buys every single one that shows up on ebay.

Sonofacqms 29-11-22 09:13 AM

AVC

"Warhorse" has a lot to answer for . . !

Rob

Alan O 29-11-22 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 592089)
He buys every single one that shows up on ebay.

Mine was £10 and I think that was a fair price. Creating a scarcity by buying up every one and then charging £60 on the basis that they are 'scarce' smacks of sharp practice and is rather underhand. Hopefully there will come a point where he is left with a drawer full that he cannot sell when collectors refuse to pay such a silly price.

Sonofacqms 29-11-22 07:25 PM

Dealers stock

Unfortunately when a military themed series appears on TV the demand for the appropriate badges becomes more acute. When Foyle's War was on TV a dealer friend of mine was desperate for MTTC badges as worn by Honeysuckle weeks.

Needles to say I still have mine . . !

Rogue Warriors now showing has no doubt influenced those that do not already have an SAS cap badge whether original or not and the demand no doubt has grown.

Rob

Frank Kelley 06-08-23 09:49 AM

That certainly does seem excessive given the expansion of the Corps from August 1914, I think the Brodrick is a much scarcer piece than the brass examples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 592072)

Home Guard 29-03-24 09:08 PM

I saw one of these, original post above, at our local show today but it was a rather small badge on a slider. My thinking it is a fake, being a collar sized badge with a slider.

Was this badge a small badge like that or am I correct thinking it is a fake?

Thank you,

Terry