British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   WHAT STARTED ME COLLECTING BADGES ETC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70140)

engr9266 09-10-18 10:19 AM

WHAT STARTED ME COLLECTING BADGES ETC

4 Attachment(s)
This is the item that started me collecting badges, 1st picture. When I had completed this poster I thought what do I do now?? Oh yes, I am a Sapper so collect Royal Engineer badges and so the BIG spiral started......:eek:
Also 3 other posters I am collecting to. The "all the signs...." are complete except for the 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha piper black on green.(any one have a spare?) The last poster is a ongoing task.

Jerry

Expat Yeoman 09-10-18 12:27 PM

:) poster number one for me too Jerry. From there it was what else is there in anodised... at that point they weren't that popular and still quite cheap.

Subsequently sold them all to reinvest in what is now my main interest. given prices now though I wonder if I should have held on to them!

EY

norfolk regt man 09-10-18 02:30 PM

Texaco

Great British regiments by texaco, free with petrol in 1970.

leigh kitchen 09-10-18 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk regt man (Post 456475)
Great British regiments by texaco, free with petrol in 1970.

Bought one about 14 days ago, just the backing board with the full set of badges (I have a complete one I got back when they came out - 1973?

54Bty 09-10-18 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 456447)
This is the item that started me collecting badges, 1st picture. When I had completed this poster I thought what do I do now?? Oh yes, I am a Sapper so collect Royal Engineer badges and so the BIG spiral started......:eek:
Also 3 other posters I am collecting to. The "all the signs...." are complete except for the 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha piper black on green.(any one have a spare?) The last poster is a ongoing task.

Jerry

These are Black on Rifle Green. Piper Green on Black are Royal Irish Rangers, now Regiment. So which ones are you missing, don't count the Piper Green on Black Medic!

Marc

Drmiggy 09-10-18 04:58 PM

First badge

In the early 70’s got given a badge (Queens) that I treasured and was then hooked. Following 5 years cadets and 24 years in the army the rest is history...

engr9266 09-10-18 08:31 PM

Just the one for all 3 Regiments - 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha Rifles piper which is black on green as per the poster.
Jerry

54Bty 09-10-18 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 456507)
Just the one for all 3 Regiments - 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha Rifles piper which is black on green as per the poster.
Jerry

Sorry, I misread your text.

Marc

tonyb 10-10-18 06:28 PM

Given a EiiR RMP and Lincolnshire Regiment badges, as a boy.....like jangling a bunch of keys in front of kitten . :eek::eek::eek:
Tony.

sketchley kid 10-10-18 10:33 PM

I pinched a RFA title out of an allotment shed before WW2.

badjez 10-10-18 11:34 PM

Start

Back in 1938 Hertfordshire County Council sponsored the formation of a TA RE unit. My uncle Michael's mother wouldn't allow her husband to join. In 1939 he joined the RE. His civil expertise was concrete construction and his skills were needed by the BEF in France building blockhouses, A/T defences etc. Officer training consisted of reporting to Chatham Barracks one Friday morning, paperwork, being taught how to salute, being issued with a pile of military engineering pamphlets, being sworn in and fed. Saturday morning off to London to see regimental tailor and buy kit. Sunday morning on the boat train to France. May 1940 evacuated from Dunkirk and then resumed his army role building defences in SE England. To get the defences built he had detachments from various regiments placed under his control. Wherever possible he pinched a badge from them and posted it home to my uncle Michael. Obviously many were broken as they were the ones that could be spared. Capt Pain moved on, we think to building Mulberry harbour prototypes in Scotland, and D Day (+ a couple) to build the harbour. He ended the war as a Major with a RE Company in Germany.
Skip a few years....a green back full of badges is given to a young Stephen by his uncle. The rest is history.

Stephen.