British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Zealand Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Un-recorded NZEF Shoulder title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75840)

pukman 05-11-19 05:11 PM

Un-recorded NZEF Shoulder title

2 Attachment(s)
One of my buys yesterday . Not in Oldham's catalogue . Any constructive opinions welcome as to era, or if you have seen this shoulder title before .

Tinto 05-11-19 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukman (Post 491488)
One of my buys yesterday . Not in Oldham's catalogue . Any constructive opinions welcome as to era, or if you have seen this shoulder title before .

Hi Iain,
Interesting title, I've not seen one of these before.
Regards, John

Sonofacqms 05-11-19 08:26 PM

NZEF

New Zealand Expeditionery Forces.

atillathenunns 07-11-19 08:36 PM

I have two other NZEF shoulder titles in my picture database, both are different to your cast version, which suggests to me they were individually made, and not produced for the masses.

dumdum 08-11-19 01:30 AM

Hi

I've had items similar to this (CYC, Queen Alexandra's and also Sigs plus other British items).
Suggest WW1 and made in Egypt?

xrayrifle 25-11-19 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukman (Post 491488)

My initial thought was New Zealand Expeditionary Force - hand filed and shaped.
Possibly from the period of the first three reinforcements to leave New Zealand bound for, Egypt. But could also have originated on the voyage to capture Western Samoa.
I'm only just thinking out loud - riffing, but based on my aquired knowledge of some years back, that the issuing of badges after war was declared was a pretty random affair.

pukman 25-11-19 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrayrifle (Post 493181)
My initial thought was New Zealand Expeditionary Force - hand filed and shaped.
Possibly from the period of the first three reinforcements to leave New Zealand bound for, Egypt. But could also have originated on the voyage to capture Western Samoa.
I'm only just thinking out loud - riffing, but based on my aquired knowledge of some years back, that the issuing of badges after war was declared was a pretty random affair.

I had an email from Laurie Osborne this morning. Laurie had one of the most extensive NZ badge collections ever assembled . He had one the same, which he sold on Trade Me in March 2019.So mine at least had a ''mate'', maybe others out there but definitely a rarity.

dumdum 26-11-19 01:34 AM

I'd still go with an item made in the "soukh" (bazaar) as it appears to be sand cast. The loops are very much like the ones seen on GB and Australian badges from this (WW1) era.
However, a CYC badge I once saw had massive integrally cast loops to the reverse. They weren't going to break off anytime soon...

pukman 26-11-19 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 493252)
I'd still go with an item made in the "soukh" (bazaar) as it appears to be sand cast. The loops are very much like the ones seen on GB and Australian badges from this (WW1) era.
However, a CYC badge I once saw had massive integrally cast loops to the reverse. They weren't going to break off anytime soon...

I totally agree. There just doesn't seem to be many around, so probably only a small amount made at the time.

atillathenunns 27-11-19 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pukman (Post 493242)
I had an email from Laurie Osborne this morning. Laurie had one of the most extensive NZ badge collections ever assembled . He had one the same, which he sold on Trade Me in March 2019.So mine at least had a ''mate'', maybe others out there but definitely a rarity.

The NZEF title sold by Laurie was listed a couple of times before it sold.
My thinking it is an Engineers title with a "F" added on the end.

Attachment 214885

pukman 27-11-19 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atillathenunns (Post 493329)
The NZEF title sold by Laurie was listed a couple of times before it sold.
My thinking it is an Engineers title with a "F" added on the end.

Attachment 214885

Well indeed , interesting. The differences are glaring, between the one I have and the one ex Laurie. Definitely not a ''mate'' to mine .

But could it be possible the Laurie's one was the template badge the bazaar made one was sandcast off ?

pukman 27-11-19 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I found this in an earlier thread , NZEF shoulder title belonged to forum member , Investment . It looks similar to mine .

Investment 28-12-19 12:21 AM

Yes, design does look similar to yours, as do the lugs. I purchased the NZEF shoulder title from Ballarat, Victoria, possibly a bring back from a veteran :)