British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help on these wings please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90941)

stuart 14-09-22 02:49 PM

Help on these wings please

4 Attachment(s)
I bought this as part of a lot the rest turned out to be modern fakes so i am not holding out any hope on this one, however this was the only wing that showed some age to it. I tried the burn test on a bit of loose thread and it did burn to ash. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Stuart

JerryBB 14-09-22 05:19 PM

The problem with Indian para wings is that of course they were made in the region, but when is the question. They might be genuine post war Indian wings, but I personally do not like them, I think someone has tried too hard to copy original wings. There are a few things about them that do not match period examples I have seen in the hand or in books, though there are a lot of variants as they are all hand made, and I can only have seen a sample of those out there.

stuart 15-09-22 07:11 AM

Many thanks for confirming my suspicions Jerry. I had a look over some of the old threads on here and did notice that these wings although close vary slightly from original examples.

Luc 15-09-22 07:46 AM

I would agree with Jerry, a copy of an original wing. There is a huge amount of variation, but the quality of the manufacture and the detail is always outstanding unlike we see here.

3battalion 15-09-22 12:16 PM

I wouldn't be too quick to class this wing as a dud as it has some nice age to it and the construction is very similiar to attributed originals. Good idea posting it on the forum as you'll get a variety of opinions.

Paul

stuart 16-09-22 07:33 AM

Many thanks Luc and Paul for your comments. I will keep the wing out of the ''fakes'' box for now and i will try and take some better pictures today in sunlight as the ones provided aren't that great. I also noticed that there is old glue residue on the back of the wing where it must have been on a display board at one point. Not that this means anything but i thought it was worth a mention.

Kind regards

Stuart

stuart 17-09-22 07:05 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of the wings in sunlight, for some reason the blue thread is a lot darker in these pictures and it isn't a very good representation of what they look like in hand. The first pictures are a better reference to what the colour of the blue thread looks like in hand.

3battalion 18-09-22 05:00 AM

Stuart, looking at the pictures I think you have an original wing. The glue residue on the back is most likely from the backing cloth that would have covered the rear of the wing. A metal backing plate and pin would then be sewed to this for attachment to a uniform.

Lookinh through Oliver Lock's book you can see similiar constructed wings.

Paul

stuart 19-09-22 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 587608)
Stuart, looking at the pictures I think you have an original wing. The glue residue on the back is most likely from the backing cloth that would have covered the rear of the wing. A metal backing plate and pin would then be sewed to this for attachment to a uniform.

Lookinh through Oliver Lock's book you can see similiar constructed wings.

Paul

Many thanks for your help Paul, I add the wing to my originals as i have been looking for one of these for a while.

Kind regards

Stuart