British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Royal Norfolks - button variations (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17269)

Peter J 19-06-11 12:13 PM

The Royal Norfolks - button variations

1 Attachment(s)
Thought members might be interested to see this pattern card depicting the almost identical types of officers’ buttons worn on the mess dress and forage cap, by the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Royal Norfolk Regiment.

Subtle differences, but interesting to note unauthorised patterns also displayed, and a shame that the service dress examples are missing [it wasn't me... honest! :rolleyes:]

Attachment 42584

Cheers,

Peter.

btns 19-06-11 12:19 PM

Hi Peter,
Higer resolution scans of the individual buttons would be very much appreciated.
regards,

Peter J 19-06-11 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 117803)
Hi Peter,
Higer resolution scans of the individual buttons would be very much appreciated.
regards,

Here you go:

Attachment 42585Attachment 42586

Give me a bit more time and I'll do them individually.

PJ

Peter J 19-06-11 12:49 PM

7 Attachment(s)
As they appear on the card, left to right, top to bottom (click on, or position cursor over image for captions):

Attachment 42591Attachment 42592

Attachment 42593Attachment 42594

Attachment 42595Attachment 42596Attachment 42597

PJ

Rob Miller 20-06-11 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Peter, so this (second) button is an unauthorised 2nd Bn Button?

I don't suppose any such cards exist for other Regiments?

Cheers Rob.

CftD 20-06-11 07:39 AM

In fundemental terms, there isn't much variation at all - britannia on a plain ground. The backed button is obviously for the cap and the others are for mess dress but, invariably, individual bns. chopped and changed as their commanding officers' thought fit - irrespective of authorised or unauthorised patterns. I have had both peaked and field service caps of the Norfolks with both mounted and unmounted buttons over the years so individuality in the Norfolks was no different to any other regiment. David

Peter J 20-06-11 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence (Post 117881)
In fundemental terms, there isn't much variation at all - britannia on a plain ground. The backed button is obviously for the cap and the others are for mess dress but, invariably, individual bns. chopped and changed as their commanding officers' thought fit - irrespective of authorised or unauthorised patterns. I have had both peaked and field service caps of the Norfolks with both mounted and unmounted buttons over the years so individuality in the Norfolks was no different to any other regiment. David

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 117875)
Thanks Peter, so this (second) button is an unauthorised 2nd Bn Button?

Cheers Rob.

Rob,

It would seem so, but I think David makes a good point in that in everyday terms, 'authorised'/'unauthorised' appears to have made little practical difference here.

Both patterns were obviously in use, but always good to know which were 'official' and which were not, even if just for reference purposes. These small differences are something I had no previous knowledge of prior to my last trip to Kew.

Thanks for your input, gents.

Peter.