British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   K.O.S.B good or bad? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56204)

3dg 26-08-16 09:29 AM

K.O.S.B good or bad?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello good people, this badge was in a box of old buttons, is it any good? Thanks for your time. Attachment 154993

Unknownsoldier 26-08-16 09:55 AM

I like it, :) Looks like my example.

Tom

3dg 26-08-16 11:42 AM

Thank you, not bad for 50p at a car boot!!

3dg 26-08-16 12:22 PM

Does anyone have examples of Queen Elizabeth crown white metal and officers silver or silver plate K.O.S.B badges that they would not mind sending photos of please, thanks again for your time

Unknownsoldier 26-08-16 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you og my QC.

Apologies on the pictures they were uploaded right way up :/

dubaiguy 26-08-16 02:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know if the rounded shape of the motto scroll that carries the word DOMINUS on 3DG’s badge is significant? Is it just a maker’s variation or for a particular cap – e.g. Kilmarnock bonnet?

I have a number of KOSB badges and they all have a flatish DOMINUS scroll except one. My rounded scroll example is a fretted badge. It’s in the middle of the old scan of KOSB badges I took some time ago. The only reference I can find for this particular shape is KK 239 (which also appears fretted in KK). KK write it up as a post 1891 KOSB cloth helmet badge that was later used on the Kilmarnock bonnet in 1904. (The later KC version being shown). Though mine doesn't appear ever to have helmet fitments.

I ask because there is a very obvious QVC KOSB fake with the round DOMINUS scroll that is seen regularly on eBay. I got caught out with it myself years ago and I'm therefore suspicious of any with a rounded bottom scroll unless KK 239.

3dg 26-08-16 03:29 PM

Thank you unknownsoldier for the wm QC badge PIC, much appreciated. And nice badges Dubaiguy, don't know about scroll though, interesting if someone knows.

dubaiguy 26-08-16 03:35 PM

Always wondered. I hope someone does.
Mark

Paddy 26-08-16 03:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics of officer's silver badge and another WM version, unsure of the QC WM version I have so opinions welcome.

Paddy

3dg 26-08-16 04:16 PM

Thank you Paddy, were all the QC officers fretted? Do hallmarked QC exist?

Paddy 27-08-16 08:20 PM

3DG

I believe all officer's versions are fretted but am standing by to be corrected. I also believe there will be hallmarked versions out there as well, I think there was one on ebay recently with an early 1990s HM

Paddy

Drummajor 27-08-16 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have several with rounded scrolls, never noticed the difference till I read this thread. Sorry for the poor quality photography.

dubaiguy 28-08-16 04:23 AM

Excellent collection Drummajor, some superb badges. It has motivated me to get cracking on mine - especially as I have a sister in Berwick.

The rounded bottom does seem to predominate on officer's private purchase silver badges and OR’s fretted badges. Like the examples you have on the 2nd row. However, as your frame has more un-fretted round bottomed badges on the 3rd row and coupled with 3DG's example, perhaps the conclusion is it is just a maker’s variation. To my eye though the rounded scroll does change the entire shape and look of the badge. That flat bottom I'm sure looks much better on the glengarry.

A question if you don’t mind, if you are able to see the badge backs in your frame, does your 25th Regiment of Foot glengarry have loops N/S or E/W? I have an example which conforms exactly to my references (unfortunately I don’t have Jeff McWilliams book), but has E/W loops. Perhaps E/W is ok for this badge, but does introduce doubt in my mind?

Paddy
Your ERII example appears to conform to other examples, but I think is just a shallow strike.

3dg 28-08-16 11:33 AM

A big thank you to all of you, excellent pics of KOSB badges, and some good and useful information, cheers to all:)

Alex Rice 28-08-16 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I have a GM badge with the rounded scroll. There was a thread about these badges on the forum some years ago which said it was a 1908 variation. I can't find the thread at the moment though...
Cheers,
Alex