British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Air Force Cross (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88118)

davidcushworth 17-01-22 04:41 PM

Air Force Cross

3 Attachment(s)
I acquired an Air Force Cross, the back was stamped with the recipients details. The RAF Museum kindly provided me with the details of the specific award.

Someone has now questioned the authenticity of the medal, stating

"I'm not sure this item is authentic. The AFC usually has a round monogram on the reverse side that is missing from your specimen and the ranks are clearly different. "

As you can see, mine has the Rank & Name of the recipient, whereas the other does not, just the monogram.

The recipient was in the RCAF in WW2. Could this account for the difference?

Many thanks

manchesters 17-01-22 04:52 PM

Yours is a poor quality copy.

regards

mm1 17-01-22 04:55 PM

AFC

Hi David,

originals were not named, should just have cypher and date 1918 to rear as in your last photo. Naming font on yours is very crude and medal in general lacks real detail.

Mark

Phil2M 17-01-22 05:40 PM

Maybe somebody had it as a spare or replacement.

KOMalta 17-01-22 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Must agree that the AFC shown is certainly not genuine.

Attached is the one I had in my collection.

grenadierguardsman 17-01-22 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMalta (Post 570315)
Must agree that the AFC shown is certainly not genuine.

Attached is the one I had in my collection.

Yes superb, as one should be.
Andy

Frank Kelley 17-01-22 08:38 PM

Just from the photographs, I would say that decoration is completely spurious, if it was sold to you as original simply return it for a refund.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcushworth (Post 570308)
I acquired an Air Force Cross, the back was stamped with the recipients details. The RAF Museum kindly provided me with the details of the specific award.

Someone has now questioned the authenticity of the medal, stating

"I'm not sure this item is authentic. The AFC usually has a round monogram on the reverse side that is missing from your specimen and the ranks are clearly different. "

As you can see, mine has the Rank & Name of the recipient, whereas the other does not, just the monogram.

The recipient was in the RCAF in WW2. Could this account for the difference?

Many thanks

davidcushworth 18-01-22 04:16 AM

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated. I bought it off an auction house, so I am stuck with it. Another lesson learned (I hope)

Frank Kelley 18-01-22 08:50 AM

That would depend upon what their policy is regarding fakes, if it was described as original by the saleroom concerned you should have a case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcushworth (Post 570359)
Thank you everyone. Much appreciated. I bought it off an auction house, so I am stuck with it. Another lesson learned (I hope)