British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Edinburgh University TC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36587)

jim a 16-12-13 10:35 PM

Edinburgh University TC

Was surprised at the size of this badge when I recieved it.Aslo N/S copper lugs. As I don't have many OTC style badges I'm wondering if it's legit. It looks good to me but would value any input..... thanks Jim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psc490ed3d.jpg

aboode 06-02-14 10:47 AM

I am surprised at the name. As far as I know from 1908 to 1966 they were called "Edinburgh University O.T.C.", then from 1966 to 1994 "Edinburgh & Heriot-Watt Universities O.T.C." and since 1994 "City of Edinburgh Universities O.T.C.".
Although they are part of the T.A., I have not seen it in the name before.
Aad

Mike H 09-03-14 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboode (Post 248736)
I am surprised at the name. As far as I know from 1908 to 1966 they were called "Edinburgh University O.T.C.", then from 1966 to 1994 "Edinburgh & Heriot-Watt Universities O.T.C." and since 1994 "City of Edinburgh Universities O.T.C.".
Although they are part of the T.A., I have not seen it in the name before.
Aad

Same with Glasgow University,it was at a point in the 50`s Glasgow TCTA then changed to Glasgow and Strathclyde University OTC

Alan O 29-12-21 11:12 AM

Unfortunately this badge has been very widely restruck using an original die or one that is identical to the original. According to Bosley's auction the original badges had long maker marked sliders with the name of Gladman, Norman and Spencer, Birmingham on it.

The copies come with 2 lugs, 3 lugs and unmarked sliders.

This is what I believe to be an original maker marked badge.

The TA designation resulted from their move into the TA in 1947 until they returned to a separate UOTC status in 1955. I would expect there to have been a time delay before the new badges were adopted and then replaced. A Q/C version without the TA title resulted. In 1966 the unit was re-titled with the introduction of Herriot Watt University students.

49lassiepen 29-12-21 12:04 PM

I only have the a/a Edinburgh University Officers Training Corps Dowler Birmingham slider This is also a very large badge

Mike H 29-12-21 12:12 PM

This badge also exists in anodised aluminium, very very rare. I have only ever seen one. If i recall correctly,it was slidered.

dubaiguy 29-12-21 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 568712)
This badge also exists in anodised aluminium, very very rare. I have only ever seen one. If i recall correctly,it was slidered.

Mike
Are you saying with KC?

Alan
From your post is the smaller w/m pre 1947 then?

Mark

grey_green_acorn 29-12-21 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not to be confused with the St Andrews University UTC KC anodised cap badge, maker marked H.W.TIMINGS LTD \ B’HAM

Tim

Alan O 29-12-21 01:15 PM

Mike

Yes that is the first pattern badge which was replaced by the TA one.

I don't have an end date of the TA one before the Q/C a/a version was introduced. I don't have a s/p date for the a/a. As stated below these we were made by Dowler. I ma not clear whether the UOTC reverted to the pre 1947 pattern in 1955 when they returned to being a UOTC or retained the TC design.

Chris Marsh's book has a 1966 price for the Q/C a/a badge but this is not a start date but a cost and may not be the first time that they were bought.

Alan

Mike H 29-12-21 03:58 PM

Sorry just to be clear ,im referring to the KC Edinburgh Uni badge in silver a/a. The scrolling reads TC(TA) at the end. I will post an image from my desktop when i get the chance.

Mike H 29-12-21 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here we are ,the 3 anodised versions of the Edinburgh badge

Alan O 30-12-21 09:46 AM

Mike

Thank you for posting the picture of the a/a TA one. It's not recorded in Chris Marsh's book so it's the first time I have heard of it's existence.

Alan

dubaiguy 31-12-21 02:38 PM

Hey Mike, thank you for posting the photos.

I'm assuming the KC is yours, but just playing the devil's advocate for a sec, are you totally confident that it isn't one of Gaylor's copies. Did he do one........?

I picked up an excellent looking KC Rifle Brigade earlier this year (no photo of the back in the auction lot it was in), unfortunately when detaching it from the card it was on and turning it over, it revealed itself to be one of Gaylor's known mirror back copies. Aaaagh! So, still on the search list I'm afraid.

Any road, great to see an unknown (to me at least) a/a OTC.

Mark

Mike H 31-12-21 04:17 PM

No ,its 100% genuine.
The mirror back Rifle Brigade KC blank slider is from a totally different die to the genuine Timings badge.

dubaiguy 19-01-22 05:35 PM

GS Tye & Co

2 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up this QC makers version on eBay. GS Tye is a confirmed maker of the Edinburgh OTC badge in Chris Marsh's 'No Bull' book, but certainly not an everyday maker. The only other badge I recall seeing on the Forum made by Tye was an East Anglian Brigade badge. (I could have missed others though).

Surprisingly, like London buses, two Tye maker marked Edinburgh OTC badges turned up on eBay at the same time and both went for roughly the same price.

Mark