British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   5th London RFA Brigade (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58210)

Tanker Mike 22-11-16 03:54 PM

5th London RFA Brigade

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I am trying to date this nice London RFA Brigade cap badge, I believe it is Pre WW1.

Mike

manchesters 22-11-16 04:09 PM

Mike,

I am afraid its not that early.

Its 2016.

One of the many "rare" artillery badge fakes.

Numerous threads on here if you wish to see why.

regards

Alan O 22-11-16 04:22 PM

The design is pre WW1 but not the badge I am afraid.

charlie962 02-12-16 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What about this one? Sorry for poor quality scannerphoto. Back is too blurred. Has a single (plain) slider, nothing else.
Charlie
Attachment 160652

manchesters 02-12-16 09:23 PM

No,

Same rubbish modern fake.

regards

charlie962 03-12-16 12:24 PM

Simon, thanks for the damning identification. I did aquire it in the 70s and was aware of these artillery badges being restruck at that time. I have searched around on this forum but not yet easily identified the clues to distinguishing restrikes. Was it the 'slider only' fastening that gave it away, even before other detail.

Has someone written an article on the production steps and man hours for a cap badge like this?
It is interesting to note that the die for my badge is not that for Mike's, quite apart from the different voiding and cutting out. Just how many different dies are known and how much work does it take to create a die? How long does a die last?
If you can point me to specific threads in this forum that would be very kind. I have read the threads on L Archer notes and the old thread on 'Artillery..the gun badge' which were helpful.
Thanks again
Charlie

Edit: I also have a suspect 3rdMiddlesex RGA and even a Cadet for checking- should I do this on another thread?

manchesters 03-12-16 01:44 PM

Charlie,

i cannot answer all your questions, sorry. The slider, the metal, the shape, the fonts are all indicators

Stick the others on here and we will take a look.

regards

charlie962 03-12-16 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the 3 Middlesex RGA. fixing by 2 lugs behind the 'THIRD' scroll. Very lightweight metal

Attachment 160683

manchesters 03-12-16 02:40 PM

Charlie,

Sorry, thats a quite horrible fake.

As for the Cadets badges to follow I have only ever seen 2 real ones, but give it a go.

regards

54Bty 03-12-16 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 384991)
Charlie,

Sorry, thats a quite horrible fake.

As for the Cadets badges to follow I have only ever seen 2 real ones, but give it a go.

regards

I am still interested in knowing who these Cadet badges were worn by.

Marc :)

manchesters 03-12-16 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 385007)

Certainly not by many people as very, very few exist, but the two I have seen were definately genuine and period pieces. (what period exactly I dont know, but would guess 1902 - 1914 at the max.)

fairlie63 03-12-16 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 385007)

Hi Marc,

I'm sure there was thread on the Great War forum that identified the gun badge with CADET upper scroll, and the cloth gun in wreath and crown with CADET as having been briefly worn by No 1 Officer Cadet School at Johns Wood near the beginning of the war.

I couldn't locate my notes (if I took any), it was a while ago.

Keith

54Bty 03-12-16 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 385024)
Hi Marc,

I'm sure there was thread on the Great War forum that identified the gun badge with CADET upper scroll, and the cloth gun in wreath and crown with CADET as having been briefly worn by No 1 Officer Cadet School at Johns Wood near the beginning of the war.

I couldn't locate my notes (if I took any), it was a while ago.

Keith

I know about the sleeve badges, but, I could never find a reference to the Cap badge. Although it is a possibility. Have to wait until 2021 now.

manchesters 03-12-16 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 385026)
I know about the sleeve badges, but, I could never find a reference to the Cap badge.

Does anyone have a picture of the above mentioned cloth badge.

I once had a WW1 photo of a group of Canadian Artillery Officers wearing it but was to small to really make out detail.

regards

fairlie63 05-12-16 07:37 AM

Couple here Simon,

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...omment-1484913

Also mention of the Cadet gun cap badge, although it might just be supposition. Wasn't there a QVC helmet plate with CADET in the scroll above the gun, K&K if I remember.

What did cadets at the 'Shop' wear Marc?

Keith