British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Unusual light bulb badges, opinions welcomed (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82054)

Luc 30-11-20 08:40 PM

Unusual light bulb badges, opinions welcomed

3 Attachment(s)
Recently I acquired these two unusual light bulb badges: light blue embroidery on khaki serge with a rifle green backing cloth. They are the same size as normal light bulb badges.

Any thoughts on them?

54Bty 30-11-20 08:58 PM

Possibly Netherlands.

Marc

Mark McClelland-Jones 30-11-20 09:21 PM

Hi Luc,

WW2 parachute-trained Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry wore (but not always) a rifle green backing to their 'lightbulbs'. But I've not seen a badge with a circle at the base - normally it's a rectangle.

Mark

silverwash 01-12-20 01:22 AM

Canadian ?

Luc 03-12-20 08:17 PM

It is conpuzzling isn't it?

NEMO 03-12-20 08:51 PM

Nice find , may turn out to be very special.

Luc 04-12-20 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about the 1st battalion Royal Ulster Rifles? They wore an unofficial shoulder title around 1942-1943 with blue embroidery. The example shown is quite faded.

pontecagnano 05-12-20 01:43 PM

The five rigging lines, with a circular device at the end, light blue colour, and pattern on the canopy are more typical of the RAF PJI trade badge. See also the similarity with the badge in Jon's post below;

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=Master

I think Luc's badge may be something different but there are a number of similarities between the two.

Graham

Mark McClelland-Jones 05-12-20 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spoke with my Father today, who served post-WW2 in the Oxf & Bucks Lt Infty, and recalls many still wearing similar parachute badges. Although the green backing is confirmed per my earlier post, he does not recall any light blue to rigging lines.

I have only ever seen white stitching to 6 rigging lines on RAF versions. Older 'Badge Parachutist Without Wings' were very similar to the current issue (pic attached). I have an older type somewhere so I will post a photo when I find it (but stand to be corrected :o)

Mark

Farang 11-12-20 02:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Almost all embroidered lightbulbs I have come across have had six rigging lines. I have three with five rigging lines which are shown. The centre lightbulb with a blue parachute has been attributed to being for 'RAF DZ Master' but this has never been confirmed. Post war my father met an RAF officer in a mess who told him he had had that role.

Attached is a lightbulb on a rifle green backing.

Best regards,
Andy

Luc 11-12-20 08:56 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. I believe mine are identical to the ones shown by Jon (if you follow the link in Graham's post) and Andy.

If it was awarded to DZ masters with a communication role in 1944 that would suggest the 45 members of the RAF 6080 and 6341 Light Warning Units (Market Garden).

That seems a rather small number of men to design a new badge for, especially if they did not have a parachute role?

3battalion 12-12-20 04:14 AM

Can't add anything of value to this thread, but wanted to say I think you did very well finding these Luc.

Good collecting

Paul

Farang 12-12-20 11:14 AM

RAF connection?

2 Attachment(s)
Luc,

I believe that there may be an RAF connection to these lightbulbs but it is circumstantial. Attached is a post war PJI wing on a similar green backing. Over the years I have spoken to many 'old and bold' PJI's but none could recollect ever seeing this backing. Similar responses from aircrew. So a bit of an interesting mystery. The popper studs suggest use in warmer climes and the condition is well used so unlikely to be a fantasy item.

Post war the Air Ministry did not permit the use of para wings by RAF qualified parachutists until the early 1960's. There were RAF para qualified personnel, predominantly in para rescue teams. These guys did wear lightbulbs. So one possibility for these lightbulbs would be RAF para qualified personnel. The green backing may be an unofficial para rescue team addition.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
Andy

Farang 12-12-20 11:24 AM

RAF connection

I forgot to add my thanks to Graham for prompting this train of thought.

If this five rigging line lightbulb were to be RAF and post war does this then make the 'DZ Master' variation also a post WW2 RAF trade badge?

Best regards,
Andy