British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Help with a medal (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69134)

Sonofacqms 06-08-18 08:44 AM

Help with a medal

I bought a Victory medal yesterday along with some other items, this does not fall into my collecting sphere and may be offered for sale/exchange later.

The details on the medal are as follows:- SR-9302 PTE J.F.ERWOOD R.FUS

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

leigh kitchen 06-08-18 09:17 AM

First Name:
James Foster
Initials:
J F
Surname:
Erwood
Birth Town:
Camberwell
Resided Town:
Camberwell
Nationality:
British
Date of Death:
14/01/1917
Fate:
Killed in Action
Information:
Parents: William John and F. Erwood, of 5, Addington Square, Camberwell, London.
Private
Service Number:
Duty Location:
France And Flanders

CWGC show him as 1st Bn.

High Wood 06-08-18 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
His medal index card.

Sonofacqms 06-08-18 10:41 AM

Medal research

Leigh,
Many, thanks for your information on this chap who was sadly KIA, I am surprised he was a casualty as the medal came with the correct ribbon, someone must have got the pair or trio and split them up, probably selling the BWM for silver scrap which I think is a shame.

I may offer this first on the forum as medals are not my main point of collecting.

Thanks again Rob

phaethon 06-08-18 11:19 AM

Silver scrap is possible but also sometimes sets were split by families non intentionally of thinking that the group should stay together- brothers/sisters each kept a medal and plaque...

leigh kitchen 06-08-18 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 450640)
His medal index card.

I take it there was nothing written on the back of the MIC concerning n.o.k. claiming the medals? ( I would imagine that if you have access to an image of the front of the card you have access to an image of the rear and you wouldn't have missed spotting that).

Sonofacqms 06-08-18 12:24 PM

Medal question

Thanks chaps for your input, I had not thought about medal groups being split amongst family members, but I do have a 1914-15 star that I found in my Uncles tool box after he died which was his Fathers, presumably his brother and sister had the other two between them.

Regards Rob

Alex Rice 07-08-18 05:26 AM

It's a shame he missed getting a Mons Star by 2 days!

leigh kitchen 07-08-18 06:09 AM

More of a shame the Germans didn't miss...... but yes, the 1914 Star - my favourite medal.

High Wood 07-08-18 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 450645)
I take it there was nothing written on the back of the MIC concerning n.o.k. claiming the medals? ( I would imagine that if you have access to an image of the front of the card you have access to an image of the rear and you wouldn't have missed spotting that).

No, there was nothing on the back of the medal index card. Pte Erwood's effects and allowances were issued to his parents.

Sonofacqms 07-08-18 07:30 AM

Thanks . . !

The knowledge on this forum astounds me, after collecting for over sixty years this vast subject of badges both cloth and metal along with medals is intriguing, the more you know it seems the more there is to find out.

Thanks for your inputs once again.

Rob