British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unidentified insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86492)

SRJ 17-09-21 06:25 PM

Unidentified insignia

2 Attachment(s)
Hello. I hope somebody might be able to assist. Can you identify any of the insignia on the two attached photographs? Also, roughly what era do you think these photographs would be from? WW1, or earlier? Unfortunately, I have no details to enable me to identify the soldiers. Thank you.

leigh kitchen 17-09-21 06:45 PM

Possibly Middlesex Regiment collar badge worn in first image, possibly Royal Fusiliers or Northumberland Fusiliers in The Second.

Mike H 17-09-21 07:19 PM

2nd one i think is Nortumberland Fus .
1st if it was Middlesex,wouldnt the helmet flash be the maroon/yellow halved diamond ?

Hoot 17-09-21 07:21 PM

The first one looks like Durham Light Infantry and the second one Northumberland Fusiliers. It also appears to be the same man in both photos.

leigh kitchen 17-09-21 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't see a DLI collar badge, I'd go for NF rather than RF, the two photos do appear to be of the same man, I can't make out the pagri flash....
The coloured top fold of the pagri would conform with the NF's red fold but collar badge and flash don't.

cbuehler 17-09-21 11:03 PM

They are DLI and NF. The collar badges are those of the DLI and the flash is dark green with red DLI, which cannot be made out in old black and white.
I can just make out the NF and grenade on the shoulder straps and the shape of the flames on the collars are correct for NF. The coloring of the facings is either incorrect or has changed over time.

CB

leigh kitchen 18-09-21 05:04 AM

Dark green hose tops in image 1?

Obvious grenades on the shoulder straps in image 2 but I can't see a definite "NF" rather "RF" although I'd agree he's NF.
Unsurprising that the facings would be shown in an incorrect shade of green rather than gosling (or are they shown as dark blue?)

cbuehler 19-09-21 12:57 AM

Dark green hose tops would be appropriate to the DLI. I would also guess that the cheap colorization would not be able to duplicate anything like gosling green, thus the wrong color.

CB

grey_green_acorn 19-09-21 08:22 AM

Perhaps of interest is that the Northumberland Fusiliers and the Durham Light Infantry both had their depots at Fenham Barracks, Newcastle Upon Tyne from 1884 to 1939.

If it is the same man in both pictures perhaps he served in both regiments at some point?

Tim

SRJ 19-09-21 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I very much appreciate everybody's assistance with identifying the insignia of these two photographs. Interestingly, the late mother of the individual I received the photographs from was born and raised in County Durham, which obviously fits with the insignia being that of the Northumberland Fusiliers and the Durham Light Infantry.

Would anybody be able to approximately date the two photographs? Would the coloured photograph be pre-WW1?

Also, on the back of the black-and-white DLI photograph are the words 'PHOTO BATTAGLI[A]', stamped in blue (see attached). Would this locate the photograph to Italy?

Alan O 19-09-21 12:04 PM

The red tunic was withdrawn in 1914 so is pre WW1.

The second one looks WW1 but could be inter war.