British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Far East Nurse 'skirt' - RARE INSIGNIA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90319)

Mike B 18-07-22 07:21 AM

Far East Nurse 'skirt' - RARE INSIGNIA

10 Attachment(s)
A friend has recently acquired this Indian 'skirt' from the family of a nurse who served in the Far East - While we swelter in the heat I thought members here may be interested to see it ... even though it may caused additional salivation ... It may provide some entertainment trying to identify them all

To my eye, some highlights include Indian Field Broadcasting Units - so rare that Len Whittaker wrote to inform me he has misidentified a Newfoundland badge (Caribou head) as insignia of the unit (Some Talk of Private Armies item 46) His notes (p.58) appear to suggest the unit only had a strength of four platoons.

Also an unrecorded item of V Force insignia

No doubt you will find further rare items.

Any comments welcome

3battalion 18-07-22 11:23 AM

Some wonderfully rare insignia Mike.

Thanks

Paul

Mike B 18-07-22 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 583599)
Some wonderfully rare insignia Mike.

Thanks

Paul

Good to hear from you Paul - yes, I was in awe when I saw it. It has been kept protected and the colours are vivid.

Mike Jackson 18-07-22 07:50 PM

Outstanding. Interesting to see one or two British signs (Western Comd and an AA Div) which the donor may have brought with him when posted to India.

Sonofacqms 18-07-22 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 583617)
Outstanding. Interesting to see one or two British signs (Western Comd and an AA Div) which the donor may have brought with him when posted to India.

Also collected on the way 51st Highland Div, 52nd Lowland Div, 78th Div, 8th Army, Northumbrian District 1st pattern, obviously a collector.

Rob

Peter Brydon 19-07-22 06:57 AM

Fabulous item.
P.

Mike B 19-07-22 11:17 AM

Many thanks Paul, Mike, Rob and Peter - interesting observations, I am pleased you like it.
Wouldn't it be great if items like this could talk ...

Ian Adams 19-07-22 01:55 PM

Great collection of items.
I have one of those V force badges in my album from a few years ago.
On the back it has the pencil writing and a date "22 Nov 1945. V Force Gurkha Parachute Regiment. I saw them training in Shillong".

Mike B 19-07-22 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Adams (Post 583647)
Great collection of items.
I have one of those V force badges in my album from a few years ago.
On the back it has the pencil writing and a date "22 Nov 1945. V Force Gurkha Parachute Regiment. I saw them training in Shillong".

Brilliant information Ian - thanks for sharing ...

3battalion 19-07-22 02:56 PM

Very interesting Ian.

Paul

54Bty 20-07-22 11:53 AM

What is the round black and green badge under the Parachute Wings, please?

Marc

Mike Jackson 21-07-22 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 583710)
What is the round black and green badge under the Parachute Wings, please?

Marc

I'm defeated by the green/black disc but a design of a stringed bugle is a possibility. Another rarity in this remarkable collection is the upright machete/panga on a red shield - the sign of 28th (East African ) Bde.

Mike B 21-07-22 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 583750)
I'm defeated by the green/black disc but a design of a stringed bugle is a possibility. Another rarity in this remarkable collection is the upright machete/panga on a red shield - the sign of 28th (East African ) Bde.

Many thanks Mike - it will be a challenge for anyone to identify the green/black disc if it proving problematic to you ... The gauntlet has been thrown down, lets see if anyone can enlighten us all ...

54Bty 21-07-22 09:57 AM

Just noticed another rarity, 8th (Belfast) Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA).

Marc

Mike B 21-07-22 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 583766)
Just noticed another rarity, 8th (Belfast) Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA).

Marc

Many thanks Marc ...