British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   SAS/Para Veteran's Grouping..? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87792)

Roy 20-12-21 06:43 PM

SAS/Para Veteran's Grouping..?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

Full disclosure; all items I'm asking about will be offered as a group in the future.

So I've just received a grouping of items on consignment from a gent who served in the Paras and possible the SAS, I believe in the 1970's. I would like to go through the insignia piece by piece to determine any details, such as authenticity, period, rarity and of course value.

The first item I picked out is an SAS beret patch.

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Roy

JerryBB 20-12-21 07:38 PM

Looks very fluffy and not an original imho

Roy 21-12-21 03:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next one..

Cheers,
Roy

arrestingu 21-12-21 05:40 PM

looks wrong to me sadly .

Roy 21-12-21 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next one

Cheers,
Roy

JerryBB 21-12-21 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 568168)
Next one..

Cheers,
Roy

Another fluffy copy

JerryBB 21-12-21 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 568170)
Next one

Cheers,
Roy

And again

Roy 21-12-21 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next one

Cheers,
Roy

Roy 21-12-21 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So it looks like all of these are fake then?

An awkward and odd position to be in as this chap (who sent these) has lead me to believe he was in the Paras in the 1970's and also the SAS (yet to show the Para badges).

If all these are total fake, I'm wondering if this brings into question his service?

Cheers,
Roy

JerryBB 21-12-21 06:59 PM

Again bad, the metal sas badge is also duff

Roy 21-12-21 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jerry,

It's not looking good.

Here are the Para badges but I suspect there's going to be little good news.

Cheers,
Roy

Luke H 21-12-21 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 568177)

If all these are total fake, I'm wondering if this brings into question his service?

You said in post #1 ‘possible SAS’ so sounds like he has not said outright that he did and therefore would struggle I imagine to claim these were his own issue / PRI purchase items.

Begs the question as to how and when he acquired these badges as it seems some insinuations were made judging by the opening post.

Having fake SAS items wouldn’t in my mind call into question service in the Paras unless he’s saying he got them from people in the regiment in which case yes there would seem to be a big problem here.

Luke H 21-12-21 07:15 PM

The slidered KC badge is fake. I cannot see the looped KC well enough but the shape of the lion and crown raises doubts along with the colour.

I’ll leave the other to dissect the cloth items.

Roy 21-12-21 07:17 PM

Thanks Luke,

All good comments.

I have written this chap with a clear questions, simply stating 'did he actually wear all of this insignia during his service in the 1970's?'.

It will be interesting to hear what his reply is.

Cheers,
Roy

Luke H 22-12-21 12:25 AM

Good luck. I am intrigued to hear his answer.

1970s is a bit outside my remit but I would have thought his issue cap badge would have been a QC AA badge, but there isn’t one. The QC badge present appears to be die stamped from the reverse so I should say is metal.

My feelings are either someone’s been a bit ‘cute’ with his wording i.e. they are all technically his and are Para / SAS badges (albeit not his issue items), or, it’s all a big fib.