British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Uknown (to me) cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32359)

High Wood 28-05-13 10:53 AM

Uknown (to me) cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
Not a very clear photograph but I do not recognise the cap badge that these soldiers are wearing.

The photograph is dated 25th May 1915 and the message on the back reads:

Dear uncle,

keeping the flag flying in the outposts of Empire - photo of a day guard on the guns and stores. Kindest regards to all at Ilminster. Your affectionate nephew,

Jim.

My first thoughts were Labour Corps but the badge does not look right. There may be a Somerset connection.

Peter Brydon 28-05-13 11:45 AM

Rather strange set ups around the neck areas !

P.B.

High Wood 28-05-13 12:09 PM

Yes, they are an absolute shower. Improperly dressed on parade.

Charlie585 28-05-13 09:38 PM

--

High Wood 28-05-13 09:57 PM

I suspect that they were a garrison battalion sent out to the far flung corners of the empire allowing regular troops to fight on the Western front.

Unknownsoldier 28-05-13 10:06 PM

Can I suggest, a colonial police unit, possibly South Africa??

Tom

High Wood 29-05-13 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A colonial Police unit is certainly a possibility but they are rather disorganised sartorially for colonial police. What is more they have obviously just had a round of golf or at least half an hour on the putting green.

High Wood 29-05-13 08:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A close up of the cap badges.

Sunray9 29-05-13 10:37 AM

Surely this can't be any form of 'regular' formation ! Most probably some form of volunteer unit in part of the Empire - couple of Lee Metford's there.
Scran Bags !! :rolleyes:

Peter Brydon 29-05-13 10:41 AM

The smiles on the mens faces suggests to me it is some sort of joke photograph.

P.B.

High Wood 29-05-13 10:43 AM

I did think that they might be part of an Indian Volunteer Rifles unit but cannot find any matching cap badges in Reginald H.W. Cox's Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18.

High Wood 29-05-13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 214908)
The smiles on the mens faces suggests to me it is some sort of joke photograph.

P.B.

But for the caption I could believe that it was a still from a three stooges film. It clearly is an odd photograph and they are armed and wearing uniforms and cap badges.

zob 30-05-13 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 214897)
A close up of the cap badges.

Hi,

Could it be this one, which I think is: Hong Kong Regiment or possibly Reserve?

Regards,

Zob.

Unknownsoldier 30-05-13 12:14 AM

Spot on Zob :D Top man :)

High Wood 30-05-13 01:27 PM

Zob,

Certainly a very good call but I am not entirely convinced as the voids on the badge in my photograph appear to be symetrical whereas the voids on the Hong Kong Regiment badge are not. That said it is certainly the most likely candidate so far. Great work in finding the badge.

Cox lists the following Great War Hong Kong units:

The Hong Kong Volunteer Corps (absorbed by the Hong Kong Defence Corps in 1917.

The Special Police Reserve

The Hong Kong Defence Corps

The Hong Kong and Singapore Battery

However none of the cap badges worn by these units are illustrated in the book.

Given the date of the photograph the Hong Kong Volunteer Corps are the most likely candidate. Not sure if they wore the same badge as the Hong Kong Defence Corps.