British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   'T' Proficiency Badge in metal and cloth (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66615)

MH331 15-02-18 11:29 PM

'T' Proficiency Badge in metal and cloth

3 Attachment(s)
These badges belonged to Gunner E E Keen RGA later commissioned and a MC winner. If I recall there is no published record of what skill/trade the 'T' badge denoted. My best guess is telegraphist.

regards

Mark

grumpy 16-02-18 12:38 PM

Yes, you are correct in believing that no official trace has ever been found [to my limited knowledge] and yet it was most certainly worn in the Great War [photos in wear exist]. Dennis Edwards and I concluded that it was a demi-official Telegraphist badge. It never appears in PVCN or CR, nor in the the RACD ledger, so must have been private purchase from one of many outlets. Your embroidered T, for example, is different yet again from the one in my collection, which is Roman with serif.

It would be helpful to know when your man was commissioned, please, because that would give a date before which he might have worn the badge.

manchesters 16-02-18 01:20 PM

Mark,

I agree, Telegraphist, almost always seen worn in conjunction with the signallers badge.

Thanks for showing the cloth badge, I can now remove mine from the unknown section (Thought it might have been a J) to the correct place along with the other T in wreaths which i suspect are the same as Grumpy's, just cloth versions of the metal badge you show.

regards

grey_green_acorn 16-02-18 05:33 PM

T in wreath

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my T in wreath examples.

Tim

manchesters 16-02-18 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 435979)
Here are my T in wreath examples.

Tim

Yes, same as mine (now)

regards

MH331 17-02-18 12:15 AM

He went overseas as a Gunner in March 1917 with 281st Siege Battery RGA. Commissioned 18th Feb 1918 Special Reserve of Officers attached 217th Siege Battery RGA. MC LG 30th May 1919.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 435951)
Yes, you are correct in believing that no official trace has ever been found [to my limited knowledge] and yet it was most certainly worn in the Great War [photos in wear exist]. Dennis Edwards and I concluded that it was a demi-official Telegraphist badge. It never appears in PVCN or CR, nor in the the RACD ledger, so must have been private purchase from one of many outlets. Your embroidered T, for example, is different yet again from the one in my collection, which is Roman with serif.

It would be helpful to know when your man was commissioned, please, because that would give a date before which he might have worn the badge.

grumpy 17-02-18 01:35 PM

Thank you, so we have a date before which the T badge was worn. Grist to the data mill!