British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Interesting letter badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76491)

nbroadarrowz 20-12-19 10:21 PM

Interesting letter badges

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Am I correct in my identification of these badges?
R.N.R. badge for the upper arm, WW1 period. Very large letters. What period were these worn?
FAA unofficial private purchase cuff letters, WW2 period.
Thank you
Barry

Postwarden 21-12-19 11:50 AM

Badges and Insignia of the British Armed Services says that the RNR badge was introduced in 1924 but does not say when it was abolished.

Jon

nbroadarrowz 21-12-19 07:16 PM

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the lead.
I have found a photo of the large upper arm badge R.N.R. being worn during WW1. Page 12 top left, Royal Navy Uniforms 1930-1945 by Brayley.
This would predate the small R cuff badge (1923-1924) and the small R.N.R. cuff letter badge (1924-post WW2).
It would be good to know a date of introduction.
Barry

Tinto 21-12-19 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbroadarrowz (Post 495376)
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the lead.
I have found a photo of the large upper arm badge R.N.R. being worn during WW1. Page 12 top left, Royal Navy Uniforms 1930-1945 by Brayley.
This would predate the small R cuff badge (1923-1924) and the small R.N.R. cuff letter badge (1924-post WW2).
It would be good to know a date of introduction.
Barry

Hi Barry and others,
Here is a picture showing a RNVR badge among badges of WW1. I have been told that it dates from about 1924. Any chance of it being shown in Brayley's book?
Thanks, Tinto

Guzzman 21-12-19 08:56 PM

RNR ratings were given a badge of the letters 'RNR' in 1875 and this was at first intended to be worn on the breast, but later moved to the sleeve. This badge was worn throughout the First World War. Variations existed (such as the one issued for members of the Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section)) which had the letters 'RNR' above 'T'. The badges worn were the same size as the one you have.

In 1921 it was announced that RNR ratings were to be distinguished by the letter 'R' to be worn on both cuffs. In 1924 this was replaced by the letters 'RNR', but later in the same year it was ordered that the letters were to be worn on the left cuff only. This badge came in a larger and a smaller variant but neither was anywhere near the size of the badge worn during the First World War.

As you say the letters 'FAA' were worn unofficially on the cuff by some Fleet Air Arm ratings. This continued the tradition of wearing the letters 'RNAS' which existed during the First World War. When these badges were found to be being used (in, I think, 1942) , it was decided that no action would be taken against personnel wearing them as it might be bad for morale. Several similar badges were worn during the war, all unofficially, and they were all allowed to be worn until 1948 when all unofficial badges were banned.

Pete

nbroadarrowz 21-12-19 10:04 PM

Hi Pete,
Thanks again for the detailed reply.
Tinto,
Photo from the book, referenced and acknowledged in a previous post.
The RNR and RNVR cuff badges were still in RNZN stores lists in 1944.
The red badge like you have is a pattern 269A
Barry

Guzzman 21-12-19 11:42 PM

Just checked the details re the 'F.A.A.' badge. It was actually in 1943 that Naval Artificer Apprentices serving with the Fleet Air Arm were found to be wearing the letters 'F.A.A.' in gold on their left cuff. As stated earlier, this carried on the tradition of the 'R.N.A.S.' badge, which was also worn on the left cuff. However, these badges were worn without the permission of the Admiralty and ratings wearing unauthorised badges faced disciplinary action. Wisely no action was taken during the war due to the possible impact upon morale but the Admiralty eventually put a stop to the practice in 1948.

Re the 'RNVR' and 'RNR' cuff badges worn between the World Wars. At the start of World War II many ratings unofficially removed the letters from their uniforms. The use of these letters was terminated in AFO 5643/42.

Pete