British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   st George facing L or R. RRF busby (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69217)

iain 11-08-18 02:36 PM

st George facing L or R. RRF busby

2 Attachment(s)
Having just read the thread from 2 years back by Tigerlily , i was wondering if there had been any further thought on this as it did not seem to have a final decision.
Over the past few months i have picked these three up L-R the first appears cast with gilt finish ? facing right the same way as a aa button to the RNF i have and their badge, the second facing left same as first pat Fusiliers Brigade buttons and the cap badge,the third again facing right.
Iain

leigh kitchen 11-08-18 03:26 PM

The first looks like the cast version commissioned from a manufacturer in Pakistan and arriving at the Tower at the end of 1979 / beginning of 1980. When new they had an attractive copper coloured sheen. thanks
They were bought to replace the die stamped version in the Drummers fur caps, the die stamped ones were prone to the usual fusilier badge problem of snapping at the join 'twixt grenade and flame.
Years later one was adapted as the CO's Piper's plaid brooch.

iain 11-08-18 04:31 PM

Thanks for that Leigh . On a slightly different note have i read in some thread you are ex LF ? or you seemed to be well up on the subject. only i was wondering i read that shoulder titles where issued in facing pairs to be worn with the sphinx facing forward yet see loads of badges facing one way and never the other , the only ones i have facing are the tiny aa and metal versions. were they strictly worn in pairs do you know .
Iain

leigh kitchen 15-08-18 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain (Post 451153)
Thanks for that Leigh . On a slightly different note have i read in some thread you are ex LF ? or you seemed to be well up on the subject. only i was wondering i read that shoulder titles where issued in facing pairs to be worn with the sphinx facing forward yet see loads of badges facing one way and never the other , the only ones i have facing are the tiny aa and metal versions. were they strictly worn in pairs do you know .
Iain

I'm too young to have been in LF, I'm not particularly clued up on their badges I'm afraid, my knowledge of their s/ts doesn't extend beyond Westlake's book.

iain 16-08-18 01:35 PM

Yes sorry i got the wrong name when i looked up the thread again.

leigh kitchen 16-08-18 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain (Post 451610)
Yes sorry i got the wrong name when i looked up the thread again.

Story of my life - always a wrong number (sob).
I only know about that cast RRF badge as I was lurking at the Tower when the shipment arrived and managed to buy a couple although I was unsuccessful in getting one of the officer's beret badges that came in with them.