British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Some old cloth collection in local British Legion (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18968)

tonyb 30-08-11 01:06 PM

Some old cloth collection in local British Legion

2 Attachment(s)
Snapped these on my mobile, a small framed collection of cloth badges, in the Huyton with Roby British Legion, sorry for quality of photo but may be of interest. I know very little about cloth items and wonder are there any 'GEMS' among them.

Mike Jackson 30-08-11 01:29 PM

I believe the only rare item there is close to the centre of the frame - the blue/yellow pentagonal sign of the HQ Western Europe Commanders-in-Chief c 1949. The five links of the chain symbolise the five Western Union Powers of the Brussels Treaty (GB, France, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg). It is mounted upside down - the upper single link should be horizontal.

grey_green_acorn 30-08-11 02:56 PM

HQ Western Europe C-in-C

2 Attachment(s)
I would agree with Mike that the HQ Western Europe C-in-C is a rare item. Here is some additional information from Badges on Battledress (2nd edition 1951) by Lt Col Howard Cole.

Tim

Mike Jackson 30-08-11 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 129847)
I would agree with Mike that the HQ Western Europe C-in-C is a rare item. Here is some additional information from Badges on Battledress (2nd edition 1951) by Lt Col Howard Cole.

Tim

And an image:
Attachment 47594

Peter Brydon 30-08-11 03:11 PM

Tony,
I was told some time ago that there is also a display of badges etc at the Runcorn British Legion, I keep on meaning to call there to see if it is still there and what it comprises.
Will get round to it one day.

Peter

tonyb 30-08-11 05:09 PM

Thanks Mike and GGA for your information on the chain badge.
Peter I wouldn't be surprised if most Legion clubs have some sort of modest collection, most likely donated by members or members families, no need to 'pay in' now in Huyton non-members welcome wonder if that applies nationwide?
Cheers Tony.

rattle-watch1 31-08-11 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please find attached my Western Union Army flash from my National service days. In 1950 I was posted to the British Embassy in Paris and was given the flash to wear. The WUA headquarters was at Fontainbleau where I saw Field Marshal Montgomery several times. In 1951 when SHAPE set up I was told to wear the SHAPE flas, which I did for two daysthen told to take it off as I would be issued with the War Office flash. But before this could happen I was told to put my old WU Army flash back on which I wore untilde mobbed in March 1952. I managed to hang on to my flash as they were being ripped off the jackets. So I officially wore the flash although the WU Army had ceased to when intergrated into SHAPE. By the way I was the only National Service man at the Embassy, the other three were regulars, Guess who did all the work?

LONGSHANKS 31-08-11 06:46 PM

Is that a Home Guard arm band Tony.

Simon.

tonyb 31-08-11 07:37 PM

Hello R-W1,
nice clean patch for its age, the one in the frame has seen better times, excuse my ignorance but what is or was SHAPE ?
Cheers Tony.

Mike Jackson 31-08-11 07:39 PM

Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe

tonyb 31-08-11 07:42 PM

Hello Simon,
yes it is a Home Guard arm band and on the other side of the frame is a Local Defence Volunteers arm band, I'm sure they came before the HG.
Cheers Tony.

tonyb 31-08-11 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 130051)
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe

Ah thanks Mike.
Tony.

LONGSHANKS 31-08-11 07:52 PM

Thought so. There's a framed set on HG on Ebay at the moment. Thought about going for it. Nice framed collection there Tony. Oh, and thanks again on the Black Watch.

Simon

LONGSHANKS 31-08-11 07:54 PM

Oh, by the way. What would the period of use be for the Imperial pattern one. I was about to go for one with the laurels, and found pout that was WW2. I hope I can put this one in the WW1 collection.

Simon.

tonyb 03-09-11 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS (Post 130061)
Oh, by the way. What would the period of use be for the Imperial pattern one. I was about to go for one with the laurels, and found pout that was WW2. I hope I can put this one in the WW1 collection.

Simon.

Simon,
missed this one I know this is the pre laurel pattern and has the die flaw to the sphinx a known original type. If WW1 I can't say.
Best Regards Tony.