British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ID please for this suspender thingy. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90452)

Buttonman 29-07-22 01:44 PM

ID please for this suspender thingy.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this brass pin brooch suspender was used for please?
It will be available if identified & not wanted by me.

Thanks,

David.

Ironside410 29-07-22 10:29 PM

Hello David,

I think you will find they are suspension devices used during medal presentation ceremonies. The medal is attached to the device and then it is slipped into a button hole or breast pocket etc.

Dennis

Home Guard 30-07-22 04:57 AM

Dennis, Very interesting and something new to me. Thanks for sharing. Now I understand why it looks so easy when they pin medals on!

Terry

norfolk regt man 30-07-22 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttonman (Post 584332)
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this brass pin brooch suspender was used for please?
It will be available if identified & not wanted by me.

Thanks,

David.

Hi, I think you will find it’s a fitting for hanging curtains, before track was invented.

mike_vee 30-07-22 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk regt man (Post 584371)
Hi, I think you will find it’s a fitting for hanging curtains, before track was invented.

I think you could be right. ;)

Buttonman 30-07-22 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone for your answers. I can't quite work out how it could be used as a curtain hanger but I could see it being used to hang a medal or maybe a masonic jewel.

Thanks again,

David.

norfolk regt man 30-07-22 11:49 AM

Hi David, I think the pin part goes into the curtain, and the hook went into an eyelet that had a small wheel on it.

Buttonman 30-07-22 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just tried it out on a suit jacket, seems to work well.

David.

mike_vee 30-07-22 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk regt man (Post 584394)
Hi David, I think the pin part goes into the curtain, and the hook went into an eyelet that had a small wheel on it.

Some were used with curtain pole/rod and hook went through ring.

mike_vee 30-07-22 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttonman (Post 584395)
Just tried it out on a suit jacket, seems to work well.

David.

Doesn't look very secure , I have seen similar pins with small chain attached that were used as a 'safety' device on brooches etc. , if the pin on the brooch snapped the brooch would not be lost.

Phil2M 30-07-22 01:51 PM

It's a curtain hanger, my nan had them, just like that, in a box under her sewing machine.

Buttonman 30-07-22 04:24 PM

Ok thanks everyone, I give in, if it walks like a curtain hanger & talks like a curtain hanger, then it's a curtain hanger. :D

All the best,

David.

dumdum 31-07-22 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk regt man (Post 584371)

Hi

A man who runs an antique shop once gave me a whole packet of these in a rare fit of generousity and told me that they were for curtains.

One or two have been used to fix a unusual on war service badge so they do have a use after all!:D