British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Two beige SAS berets on Ebay (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66696)

HamandJam 22-02-18 05:51 AM

Two beige SAS berets on Ebay

Good morning Chaps,

Currently there are two beige SAS berets on Ebay which are supposed to be ww2. Item numbers 183069043932 and 183069058709

In my humble opinion there are various red flags. The colour of both is wrong, they appear to br bleached and the old colour is still visible at some places. May be inanftry or recce? I am not a fan of the badges either.

There is already heavy bidding on it and buyer may be disappointed.

Cheers
JB

REME 245 22-02-18 12:54 PM

Look here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/audreyspa...p2047675.l2562

grenadierguardsman 22-02-18 02:07 PM

Hats are well faded, badges aren't..........yeh their genuine, my arse!!!!!
Andy

half12 22-02-18 02:38 PM

Hi,

As far as we can see on ww2 wartime portraits, berets seems locally made ... so for this model any british made beret must be dubious.

Best regards .. Herve

Old Smelly 22-02-18 03:59 PM

They do look a bit odd but I don’t think they’re faded. It looks to me like the colour from the leather has leached out into the fabric. They don’t look to be British issue either
Lee

arrestingu 22-02-18 09:39 PM

....ok some don't like them , can anyone explain what is wrong with the cloth cap badges ...so the less knowledgeable can learn.
Thanks steve

grenadierguardsman 22-02-18 10:23 PM

I believe the Badge and Beret have just been put together. The Beret is quite well worn but the Badge isn't. I just don't like them. JMO.
Andy

arrestingu 22-02-18 10:29 PM

....personal opinion aside , looking at the construction of the cloth badges are there any obvious recognised signs these are fake and not period ?

HamandJam 23-02-18 08:16 AM

Hi Lee,

But on the white/sand the marks are on the crown and eyelets?

Why are they not British made?

Anyhow the colour of both does not look like the right colour for SAS berets.

Two ww2 beige SAS berets appearing at same time is a red flag in itself they are incredibly rare.

Cheerio

JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Smelly (Post 436424)
They do look a bit odd but I don’t think they’re faded. It looks to me like the colour from the leather has leached out into the fabric. They don’t look to be British issue either
Lee

HamandJam 23-02-18 08:21 AM

Hi there are quite good reproductions out there it It about the look and feel compared to genuine period ones. The one on the tan beret looks very ood uncommon not that it makes it automatically fake but design is not early or 1944 pattern the other one is a type often faked and could be aged. I can be wrong of course...Cheers JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrestingu (Post 436448)
....personal opinion aside , looking at the construction of the cloth badges are there any obvious recognised signs these are fake and not period ?

Old Smelly 23-02-18 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamandJam (Post 436456)
Hi Lee,

But on the white/sand the marks are on the crown and eyelets?

Why are they not British made?

Cheerio

JB

Hi
I meant not standard WD issue, possibly private purchase.
I thought the ring on the top of the lighter one was possibly from being stored together with the darker one, portly stored, damp or whatever.
Difficult to see with the photos on ebay.
Lee

fairlie63 23-02-18 09:16 AM

But if you miss out on those you could buy one of these - more than 10 available!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILITARY-....c100005.m1851

Keith

HamandJam 23-02-18 10:22 AM

That is actually a good sign as sas berets were not standard WD issue , I would want it to be real as I am looking for one�� ....but to many questions for now.JB

QUOTE=Old Smelly;436458]Hi
I meant not standard WD issue, possibly private purchase.
I thought the ring on the top of the lighter one was possibly from being stored together with the darker one, portly stored, damp or whatever.
Difficult to see with the photos on ebay.
Lee[/QUOTE]

seanhath 24-02-18 10:46 PM

The Coldstream Guards Officers service dress hat is suspicious too.
The cap star looks like a modern Coldstream Officers Rank pip, and there are two small holes or indentations 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock just above the chin strap - which to me look to be right where the scroll on an RA badge would’ve sat.

arnhem2280 25-02-18 12:43 PM

Two beige SAS berets on Ebay

Whether or not these are the real thing is a matter of conjecture. Strangely though I have not noticed any comment at all from forum members who are normally very quick to pass comment on items they think are fakes or copies.
I find it difficult to believe they have not noticed the posts and checked the berets out.
Maybe these are the real thing?

Cheers

Arnhem