British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Comments please of ebay listing of 1st SAS and para wing (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73176)

zorgon 09-04-19 06:57 PM

Comments please of ebay listing of 1st SAS and para wing

A very nice looking lot just sold on eBay consisting of a pair of 1st. SAS titles and an older Para wing style for $936 US. As a newbie, I'm still trying to figure out what is legitimate and what to look for on these pieces. I wasn't sure about the black, vacuum backing over the course white cheesecloth backing but the fronts of the SAS titles certainly look good. Lots of bidders. Were these pieces good? Any hints on what to look for in the future? Any examples of the backs of other 1st or 2nd SAS titles that one can expect to see? Thanks in advance for ensuing discussion.

manchesters 09-04-19 07:48 PM

Thanks in advance for ensuing discussion.

Not going to be much of that without a link or photos?

regards

zorgon 09-04-19 07:55 PM

I assumed folks would follow this sort of thing but good idea Simon, here's the link and eBay item number:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW...orig_cvip=true

eBay item number: 264271895299

Not sure about image copyright so best to go to the source.

manchesters 09-04-19 08:02 PM

look original to me.

regards

Paul Spellman 09-04-19 09:01 PM

The SAS Titles are definitely fake.
Paul

crest-insignia 09-04-19 09:13 PM

7 - 21 days delivery!
Seller obviously doesn’t like to be hurried.

Paul Spellman 09-04-19 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Titles were sold on eBay a while back.
The shiny new white cheesecloth the biggest giveaway.I have handled similar (or probably the same pair) about two years ago and others who know better than me confirmed they were fake.

Paul

HamandJam 10-04-19 04:56 AM

The wings were post ww2 pimped up with backing to look like ww2 and titles fake. JB
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 474923)
Titles were sold on eBay a while back.
The shiny new white cheesecloth the biggest giveaway.I have handled similar (or probably the same pair) about two years ago and others who know better than me confirmed they were fake.

Paul

manchesters 10-04-19 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 474918)
look original to me.

regards

And thats why I dont have any!!!!
Not my best comment.:(

Alan O 10-04-19 07:42 AM

My hint would be don't buy SF items off ebay. They are so likely to be fake. Collect something else. as it's far more rewarding and you will not risk so much money.

akiko 10-04-19 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 474952)
My hint would be don't buy SF items off ebay. They are so likely to be fake. Collect something else. as it's far more rewarding and you will not risk so much money.

That's an odd statement to make.

Alan O 10-04-19 12:43 PM

Not really. SF is the most highly and professionally faked that commands the highest prices and therefore the most risk. I would not advise any one to start collecting it without significant research and certainly not on ebay.

Mike B 10-04-19 03:01 PM

I am with Alan on this one. I would not like to be a new collector today - well over 50 years collecting, decades of research, lots of advice over the years from great collectors such as Len Whittaker, a great network of current contacts and still exercising caution with British / Inter-Allied Commando, Airborne and SF. This forum helps greatly, being the best of its kind I have found - but as any experienced collector/researcher would say - is probably not foolproof.

leigh kitchen 10-04-19 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 474984)
Not really. SF is the most highly and professionally faked that commands the highest prices and therefore the most risk. I would not advise any one to start collecting it without significant research and certainly not on ebay.

Seconded - a minefield on eBay from what I can see, some fakes obvious even with my lack of knowledge and experience with such insignia.
I leave well alone - this stuff's for the experts.

Luke H 10-04-19 06:52 PM

Thirded.

Every week we see threads highlighting these badges on eBay which attract dozens of bids and sell for hundreds or thousands of pounds - and these are the so-called ‘obvious’ fakes that all the experts agree on.

Sad facts are there are dozens perhaps hundreds of collectors who must be under the impression they own a fantastic SF item when the truth is they’ve wasted hundreds or more!

As Alan says no doubt SF items have been faked from rather early on and the fakers go to significant efforts to deceive.