British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   A little help if you can........... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65635)

Nozzer 09-12-17 08:13 PM

A little help if you can...........

Hi All,

I have been going through my Royal Navy headgear colection in the last couple of weeks. One of the things that I am quite keen to do, as are many on here, is to research any items of uniform that I have which are named. Most I have no problem with, but this cap I cannot decipher the name :confused:

Apologies for the poor photography, but after numerous attempts this is about as good as it gets I'm afraid.

The name has been written on the band in two places and the cap dates from around WW2.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Andrew

manchesters 09-12-17 08:20 PM

R.E. COLES ??

regards

Nozzer 09-12-17 08:31 PM

Hi Simon,

Yes, that is what it looks like to me and my assistant (daughter). Of course, I should have added in my opening post that we have been unable to cross reference all the possible names that we came up with against the lists that are available. Of course, we could have missed something. That is why we need a new eye on this one.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

orasot 09-12-17 09:07 PM

I'd say it is R.E COCKS unfortunate if the first name is Richard!!!
Good luck with the search mate,
Wilf

Paul Spellman 09-12-17 09:25 PM

R.E. Cooke
Paul

Drummajor 09-12-17 10:28 PM

I have enhanced the photo as best I can, and I agree with Wilf, R.E. COCKS.
Phil.

Fatherofthree 09-12-17 11:41 PM

I agree, R. E Cocks.

And writing of unfortunate names; honestly, I grew up with a lad, his name was Richard Sole......................can you believe it, parents with a warped sense of humour.

Regards.

Brian Luckie. :D

P.S. And no, he didn't have a sibling named Dover or Lemon.

BWEF 10-12-17 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatherofthree (Post 429792)
I agree, R. E Cocks.

And writing of unfortunate names; honestly, I grew up with a lad, his name was Richard Sole......................can you believe it, parents with a warped sense of humour.

Regards.

Brian Luckie. :D

P.S. And no, he didn't have a sibling named Dover or Lemon.

There is a Robert Soule, of the Green Howards, buried at Anzio Beach Head Cemetery.

Wisely, he served as Withers. At a guess I would imagine Withers to be his mothers maiden name,

Nozzer 10-12-17 06:28 PM

Thanks to all that replied.

R. E. Cocks is one of the names that we came up with, so that could well be it. However, We are unable to find a Commander, Captain or Commodore 2nd Class with that name. The search goes on...

Cheers,

Andrew

manchesters 10-12-17 07:24 PM

No one with the name R.E. Cocks (or with similar initials) served in WW2 as an officer in the British Army.

regards

orasot 10-12-17 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Are these any help Nozzer, quite a few on the Navy lists dating from 1947 to 1970 mate,
Wilf

orasot 10-12-17 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
close ups of both for you,

manchesters 10-12-17 08:29 PM

Oops, missed the RN bit in post one

regards

Nozzer 11-12-17 03:48 PM

Thanks Wilf.

A Civil Officer at Chatham Dockyard in 1947 and by 1970 a Superintending Electrical Engineer.

I will continue with the research.

Many thanks to all.

Whistle 24-12-17 08:12 AM

my suggestions would be:
R.E. CULKS or R.E. COERS
or variations of those two

CUERS, COLKS ect

Good luck