British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   RE Chromed (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92335)

Sapper795 28-01-23 02:38 PM

RE Chromed

3 Attachment(s)
Is this an officers pattern badge that has been chromed.
Or even a O/Rs, but would not thought it would have had a makers mark.
Maker marked JR GAUNT LONDON.

Attachment 278866

Attachment 278867

Attachment 278868

manchesters 28-01-23 03:17 PM

OSD originally I guess

Regards

Sapper795 28-01-23 03:58 PM

Yes that would fit, did not think about blades being removed and replaced with lugs.
do you think its a made up item do deceive, or do you think it was worn in service.
and if worn in service, by an officer ?

manchesters 28-01-23 04:37 PM

I cant say, but I doubt it was done in service.

regards

Sapper795 28-01-23 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 595601)
I cant say, but I doubt it was done in service.

regards

Thanks Simon.
Could not see an officer wearing a chromed badge, and at time time could not see a O/R wearing it either.
Chris

Sonofacqms 28-01-23 06:17 PM

Chromed RE GviR

I have a chromed RE GviR on my board of RE badges, I have it down as being worn by officers of 32 Assault Regt during WWII.
Rob

Sapper795 28-01-23 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 595606)
I have a chromed RE GviR on my board of RE badges, I have it down as being worn by officers of 32 Assault Regt during WWII.
Rob

Is yours the same as mine, IE officers pattern. I have an O/Rs chromed, and same as you I have it as 32 armoured.
I do think this badge started off as a OSD, so some one had to remove the prongs and fit lugs.
However not a problem, especially for RE units.
And I could see an officer wanting to show he was with an armoured unit, especially if his men were already wearing chromed badges.
Gives me something to think about.

Alan O 28-01-23 08:40 PM

Chromed badges were often worn at the end of the war on walking out coloured side caps.

Sapper795 28-01-23 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 595613)
Chromed badges were often worn at the end of the war on walking out coloured side caps.

I was aware they were worn, and had heard this is how they were worn, IE walking out.
But still a little hazy, so just to confirm they were never an issue item. They were chromed at private expense. We’re not worn on duty.
And since this was an officers OSD pattern badge, do you think it could have been worn by an officer .
Just trying to make sure I understand the full use of the chromed badge.
Chris

Sonofacqms 28-01-23 10:47 PM

Chromed RE cap badge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 595613)

As it happens I have a chromed RE GvR cap badge, as to whether this was worn at the end of the Second World War we will never know, possibly the badge of a pre 1935 regular who proudly wore it throughout the war and had it chromed who knows.

That is the fascinating thing about badge collecting, as someone said to me once "If only they could talk . . !"

Rob

Sapper795 29-01-23 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 595616)
As it happens I have a chromed RE GvR cap badge, as to whether this was worn at the end of the Second World War we will never know, possibly the badge of a pre 1935 regular who proudly wore it throughout the war and had it chromed who knows.

That is the fascinating thing about badge collecting, as someone said to me once "If only they could talk . . !"

Rob

If only.
I really enjoy finding out new things about the badges in my collection.
Often reading what other members have discovered.
Thanks for your thoughts
Chris

Alan O 29-01-23 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapper795 (Post 595614)
I was aware they were worn, and had heard this is how they were worn, IE walking out.
But still a little hazy, so just to confirm they were never an issue item. They were chromed at private expense. We’re not worn on duty.
And since this was an officers OSD pattern badge, do you think it could have been worn by an officer .
Just trying to make sure I understand the full use of the chromed badge.
Chris

Chris

Yes that's right - the hats were bought not issued. The walking out dress generally included a open neck jacket and tie and having a tailor add internal facing to the lapels/collars and taking in the blouses to fit better. This was the time of a proliferation of coloured arm patches as well.

Its also possible that it was chromed for wear on a black beret as this was also a contemporary practice by armoured sqns as mentioned before.

Alan

grey_green_acorn 29-01-23 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not that it applies to your badge, but you are probably aware that chromed cap badges, usually made from GAUNT dies, but with two 12mm threaded posts exist as part of car badges.
See my album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4598
Example of RE version:

Tim

Sapper795 29-01-23 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 595641)
Not that it applies to your badge, but you are probably aware that chromed cap badges, usually made from GAUNT dies, but with two 12mm threaded posts exist as part of car badges.
See my album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4598
Example of RE version:

Tim

Hi Tim
I was aware that badges were badge for cars, I was not aware they were made by gaunt ETC if I had come across one before your post, with screw posts I would definitely be racking my brains to try and work out on what it would fit.
So thanks for pointing this out.

Chris

Sapper795 29-01-23 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 595638)
Chris

Yes that's right - the hats were bought not issued. The walking out dress generally included a open neck jacket and tie and having a tailor add internal facing to the lapel/collars and taking in the blouses to fit better. This was the time of a proliferation of coloured arm patches as well.

Its also possible that it was chromed for wear on a black beret as this was also a contemporary practice by armoured sqns as mentioned before.

Alan

Alan.

Thanks for the info
All very useful.

Regards
Chris