British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Locally made PJI Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68895)

3battalion 22-07-18 11:41 AM

Locally made PJI Badge

1 Attachment(s)
I don't normally bid on auctions because of the horrendous fees and postage costs. However, when I saw the attached badge with a low estimate I thought I'd place a small bid. To my surprise I picked it up at a reasonable price and was very pleased when it arrived.

As you can see it's beautifully made with fine bullion and nicely padded to emphasise the parachute.

A nice addition to my bullion / para collection.

Paul

pontecagnano 22-07-18 12:22 PM

Hello Paul,

Lovely badge and a very unusual pattern. Well done.

Graham

54Bty 22-07-18 03:18 PM

Which country is it from? It looks to have Oak leafs.

Marc

Mike Jackson 22-07-18 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 449129)
Which country is it from? It looks to have Oak leafs.

Marc

And the canopy appears to be made of netting. Not sure I would have trusted that! Mike

54Bty 22-07-18 05:58 PM

If asked I would have said it had a German (or other European country) balloon connection.

Marc

Mike Jackson 22-07-18 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 449149)
If asked I would have said it had a German (or other European country) balloon connection.

Marc

I agree - there are many images of early balloons showing the hot air "bags" contained within a hemispherical net. Mike

Mike Jackson 22-07-18 07:00 PM

These are Austro-Hungarian, but you see what I mean. Mike

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

arrestingu 22-07-18 07:08 PM

....believe German balloonist post 1957.

pontecagnano 22-07-18 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 449149)

Marc

It does have some similarities to the WWII German balloon Pilot badge but it also has some similar characteristics to a British (locally made) PJI trade badge; the canopy skirt is higher and shaped differently to a balloon which normally curves back down towards the basket, there are six rigging lines and the ribbon device found at the bottom centre is present. I have seen Indian made examples with a rectangular device at the end of the rigging lines rather than a circle on top of a ribbon. Having said that, I could be completely wrong, as the net design is more typical of a balloon, but would probably have acquired it on the same basis as Paul just in case if it wasn't expensive.

Graham

3battalion 23-07-18 03:16 AM

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the replies and interesting views on the possibilities for this badge. This was listed in the last C & T auction as a 'Bullion Airborne / Parachutist Badge' and was sold with other pieces of parachute insignia / head gear so I believe the original owner believed it was para related.

That said, I can see the similarities with the balloon insignia referenced in a few posts. On inspection, I believe it to be of WW2 vintage and the bullion work is similar to Indian made insignia of the period. I'm 50/50 on it being an early PJI badge or 'balloonist 1st class' so for now will reside with my bullion collection until I can confirm it's identity.

Good collecting

Paul

54Bty 23-07-18 03:29 PM

Back to my first question but with additions, which country do you think the badge is from and what arm of service do you think it is for.

Marc

3battalion 24-07-18 01:40 AM

Hi Marc,

As my last post mentioned I'm un-decided but my first impression was that it was a locally made (India or Middle East) badge for a Parachute Jump Instructor for Commonwealth Forces.

Paul

leigh kitchen 24-07-18 06:31 AM

What are the indications that it is locally made please?

3battalion 24-07-18 07:25 AM

Hi Leigh,

I made the assessment when I compared the bullion work to confirmed locally made badges in my collection.

I'm fascinated by the detail that goes into making these badges but stand to be corrected if you think the badge was made in the UK or elsewhere as I don't consider myself an expert?

Paul

leigh kitchen 24-07-18 08:42 AM

No, I should've given more thought to my question, 07:30 hrs was too early for brain to engage - locally made applies if it's a form of British PJI, but not if it's not a British badge?
I have no info. to offer, merely asking to learn.