British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unusual South African Irish Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49162)

irishhorse 25-10-15 11:17 PM

Unusual South African Irish Regiment

3 Attachment(s)
A photo taken in South Africa c1940. The badge is similar to an 8th Hussars NCO's arm badge. I've picked up both cast brass and cast white metal versions. Both from dealers in South Africa. Can't tell if the badge in the photo is die struck or cast. But cast South African Irish Regiment badges are not unusual.

craigen 26-10-15 04:33 AM

That is very interesting indeed; thanks for the info.

Do you have an example of the 8th Hussars badge that you could post alongside your badges for comparison?

Regards
Craig

Madziro 26-10-15 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The SA Irish were also known to wear the London Irish caubeen badge which looks sort of similar.

irishhorse 26-10-15 11:30 AM

SAIR & 8th Hussars.

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by craigen (Post 328721)
That is very interesting indeed; thanks for the info.

Do you have an example of the 8th Hussars badge that you could post alongside your badges for comparison?

Regards
Craig

8th Hussars badge in centre for comparison. I've seen a number of SAIR photos from 1940. No others show this type of badge worn. Most show all ranks wearing the LIR type badge, Madziro has posted above.

iaindh 01-11-15 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My own SA Irish wartime brass cast with original hackle, same size and design as O637

Attachment 134872

Frank Kelley 01-11-15 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I call a South African "Irish" :)

iaindh 01-11-15 09:01 AM

Nice Frank, WWI?

Frank Kelley 01-11-15 04:12 PM

Indeed, the regiment seems to claim a link with Colonel Brennan's lads, although, quite frankly, I struggle to understand why, I suppose one hundred years does sound good.

milhistry 05-11-15 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishhorse (Post 328708)
A photo taken in South Africa c1940. The badge is similar to an 8th Hussars NCO's arm badge. I've picked up both cast brass and cast white metal versions. Both from dealers in South Africa. Can't tell if the badge in the photo is die struck or cast. But cast South African Irish Regiment badges are not unusual.

If 1940, it could be due to a shortage of official badges with the SAIR being newly raised. Perhaps any Irish-looking badge was worn until the standardised patterns were available? Or, possibly this chap served in a a UK Irish unit before joining the SAIR kept his old badge and nobody noticed?

Brian Conyngham 05-11-15 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 329556)

Agree Frank, owned 2 of them and just 2 months back passed on one to a fellow collector. Rare little bugger these days like all other regimental badges from this era. Was very lucky to find one in a junk store in Cape Town 2 years ago for the princely sum of 2 pounds :D

Brian

irishhorse 05-11-15 11:57 AM

SAIR

Quote:

Originally Posted by milhistry (Post 330070)
If 1940, it could be due to a shortage of official badges with the SAIR being newly raised. Perhaps any Irish-looking badge was worn until the standardised patterns were available? Or, possibly this chap served in a a UK Irish unit before joining the SAIR kept his old badge and nobody noticed?

He joined the SAIR in 1940. And had no previous military experience. Perhaps they experimented a bit before settings on the the crown/harp/motto badge.

irishhorse 05-11-15 11:59 AM

SAIR WM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 329556)

There is also a WM version of the WWI badge, which no one can quite explain.

Milmed 30-01-22 02:36 PM

Some SA Irish pics

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Reviving old thread with some SA Irish picture found in my archives.

1. Group of SA Irish c.WWI - note cloth shamrock collar badges

2. SA Irish soldier c.WWII

3. SA Irish Pipe Major - 1962 postcard

irishhorse 30-01-22 03:19 PM

Pipe Major Symons in the postcard.

shahldm 02-02-22 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to acquire this wonderful badge in Cape Town over Christmas.