British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Welsh Guards Cloth Shoulder Titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93598)

Rhys1 14-05-23 12:10 PM

Welsh Guards Cloth Shoulder Titles

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve read everything I can about WG titles here on the board, including some the round v square discussion.

I’m somewhat at a loss about these below - does anyone think these have a chance at being pre-1945 ?

NORMANDIE18 14-05-23 12:28 PM

Hi,
The thread seems to be synthetic, a simple burn test could help. If so they are post WW2.
Normandie18

Rhys1 14-05-23 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORMANDIE18 (Post 602742)
Hi,
The thread seems to be synthetic, a simple burn test could help. If so they are post WW2.
Normandie18

Thank you, just conducted a test (against a thread of one that is 100% wartime wartime) they burn just the same.

grenadierguardsman 14-05-23 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys1 (Post 602740)
I’ve read everything I can about WG titles here on the board, including some the round v square discussion.

I’m somewhat at a loss about these below - does anyone think these have a chance at being pre-1945 ?

I reckon they are post 1945.
Andy

Rhys1 14-05-23 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 602753)
Andy

Thanks Andy, I picked them up at Brecon Show today, a fiver for all five - though it was worth a punt. I've popped them in a frame all the same.

I'm looking for a pair of original WW2 round or square edge titles if anyone has got some.

Home Guard 14-05-23 05:22 PM

Am I reading this wrong? If the thread burns the same as a wartime one, i.e. being cotton so not bubbling up, then would they not also be wartime? Referring to post 3.

A Black Light test is also a very good way to check the thread. Cotton thread shoudl not glow, but synthetic threads glow like neon.

Terry

NORMANDIE18 14-05-23 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 602763)
Am I reading this wrong? If the thread burns the same as a wartime one, i.e. being cotton so not bubbling up, then would they not also be wartime? Referring to post 3.

A Black Light test is also a very good way to check the thread. Cotton thread shoudl not glow, but synthetic threads glow like neon.

Terry

Hi Terry,
Synthetic threads embroideries are post WW2, but cotton threads embroideries are not inevitably WW2.
Normandie18

JerryBB 14-05-23 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 602753)
Andy

I have to agree, the reverse looks postwar

cbuehler 15-05-23 01:29 AM

I too would agree that these titles are all post 1945; some perhaps not very long after however.
Printed or paste backs, with some exceptions of course, are generally accepted to be of war time make.

CB

Markus Bodeux 15-05-23 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Rhys1,
i know absolutely nothing about army cloth shoulder titles, but i have this pair, and it looks to me old and "battleworn" :rolleyes:
If you like and went them, PM me, i can send them in a normal letter between some sheets of paper (from Germany),

regards
Markus

Rhys1 29-07-23 07:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your contribution - apologies - I thought I set alerts for the thread but evidently I didn’t !

Massive thank you for your help and support.

I was very lucky yesterday to pick up a 3Bn Welsh Guards solid provenance vet grouping with a number of shoulder titles and other Welsh Guards ephemera. I’ll post it here soon.

Thank you again,

Gareth