British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Welsh Guards Officer's Beret. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71607)

leigh kitchen 12-01-19 03:29 PM

Welsh Guards Officer's Beret.

6 Attachment(s)
An issue beret manufactured around 1978-79, lacking the Guards backing to the bullion badge (introduced 1989).
It appears to be a genuine combination of bullion badge with beret.
Was it common practise for Guards officers to wear issue rather than private purchase berets back then?
Would the badge be worn by a W.O.?

JerryBB 14-01-19 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very nice Leigh, not one I have, though I do have a SD cap and a forage cap for the WG.

leigh kitchen 14-01-19 06:27 PM

Nice, I only have a few WG OR's forage caps, a Guardsman and 2 Musicians.

JerryBB 14-01-19 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is an or's for a guardsman I have, nice though as it is 1958 dated and wd issue marked. I have the buttons to restore to it but have not done it yet. It came with the AA badge, though I have 6 brass/gm examples

leigh kitchen 14-01-19 06:49 PM

I have a Musicians dated around 1957-58 and a 1962 one I think it is. My Guardsman's cap is far more recently made.

Mike H 14-01-19 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 465368)
It is an or's for a guardsman I have, nice though as it is 1958 dated and wd issue marked. I have the buttons to restore to it but have not done it yet. It came with the AA badge, though I have 6 brass/gm examples

Looking at your hat Jerry. I wonder if they hadnt started to put the wire ring in the top so it sat flat .

JerryBB 14-01-19 07:42 PM

I did wonder but assume in 58 they were using aa badge and buttons?

Frank Kelley 14-01-19 08:11 PM

Hello Jerry, do you know how old that is?

Regards Frank
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 465360)
Very nice Leigh, not one I have, though I do have a SD cap and a forage cap for the WG.

JerryBB 14-01-19 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 465379)
Hello Jerry, do you know how old that is?

Regards Frank

Date stamp, though it might actually be 1956 rather than 1958 as it has a T WD marking as well which is 1956 or 1937.

leigh kitchen 14-01-19 09:32 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 465369)
I have a Musicians dated around 1957-58 and a 1962 one I think it is. My Guardsman's cap is far more recently made.

Some photos of the older of the two Musician's caps I have, I haven't got any photos showing a date, I'll have to check the cap.
The anodised St Edward's Crown buttons were already fitted when I got it.
There is a soldier's surname and "last four" (digits of his army number) written inside.

leigh kitchen 14-01-19 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 465368)

I have trouble telling some of the Welsh Guards Guardsmen and Drummers badges from the Sergeants and Musicians ones.
Is the one your showing the Sergeants and Musicians?
This is one of my Guardsmen and Drummers type.

JerryBB 14-01-19 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 465389)
Some photos of the older of the two Musician's caps I have, I haven't got any photos showing a date, I'll have to check the cap.
The anodised St Edward's Crown buttons were already fitted when I got it.
There is a soldier's surname and "last four" (digits of his army number) written inside.

Mine has his full army number in it and also the 67 same as yours, a cutting/pattern number perhaps.

I noticed yours is the same maker, silbertson.
As regards the badge, no idea

Frank Kelley 15-01-19 08:24 AM

Very nice Jerry, a very good cap, the badge appears a little larger than I might have expected, but, assume it must be original to that particular cap how tall is it?
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 465380)
Date stamp, though it might actually be 1956 rather than 1958 as it has a T WD marking as well which is 1956 or 1937.

leigh kitchen 15-01-19 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 465392)
Mine has his full army number in it and also the 67 same as yours, a cutting/pattern number perhaps.

I noticed yours is the same maker, silbertson.
As regards the badge, no idea

I didn't realise that the two types of badges were actually "different" badges rather than just manufacturers variations until I read "No More Bull".
The Guardsman and Drummer on the left, the Staff, Sergeant and Musician (with the longer, more distinct central sprigs) onhe right.
I sometimes have trouble telling which a badge is "supposed" to be.

grenadierguardsman 15-01-19 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 465420)
I didn't realise that the two types of badges were actually "different" badges rather than just manufacturers variations until I read "No More Bull".
The Guardsman and Drummer on the left, the Staff, Sergeant and Musician (with the longer, more distinct central sprigs) onhe right.
I sometimes have trouble telling which a badge is "supposed" to be.

Ive never heard of this before ? Is there any evidence to support this theory, i thought there were different metals used, ie Silver and Gilt for Musicians, Sergeants and Staff ?
Andy