British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   No2 SS Commando ISSUED badges ,your examples please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71572)

arrestingu 10-01-19 01:44 PM

No2 SS Commando ISSUED badges ,your examples please

Hi all,
I would be interested to see forum members badges of the " ISSUED commercially produced wartime types" (which I am led to believe did exist) rather than the badges made from spoon versions ofhe 2nd Special Service brigade, commando.
I know copies exist which were produced for veterans. I would be interested to see wartime examples, if anyone can help.
Thanks
Steve

Mike B 10-01-19 02:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Steve
Officer and Other Rank versions attached - note the quality of the Officer badge - very different from many examples encountered. Note: The attribute Other Rank is cast not die struck.
Your enquiry will no doubt produce other examples BUT - It would be useful to hear of any with specific attribution. I fear numerous fake or doubtful patterns exist.
Regards
Mike

Belly 10-01-19 02:57 PM

Steve
Mike has expertly covered this off, but there is also a cast officers pattern that has the exactly the same solid back as the OR version pictured (not to be confused with the die struck versions on ebay which looks the same from the front).
Cheers
Paul

Mike B 10-01-19 04:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Paul
You are right as ever - I think this may be the type you refer to - not sure whether part die struck so you may be thinking of another type ... I know you have a few!
This one is not attributed, but from a good source
Mike

Belly 10-01-19 05:20 PM

That's the one Mike, the construction similarities are clear to the OR version.
Exactly like you I have verbatim attributed examples of both types in your post #2 but an unattributed example of the type in post #4

oc14 11-01-19 01:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Interested in opinions on this example that I picked up with a bunch of genuine badges - no reason to doubt it's authenticity, the patina on it could only come through age !. Looks very similar to the one in Mike's post. Measures approximately 54mm from end to end. If considered to be a genuine example it will be offered for sale to forum members (no idea on market price for these at the moment but will be offered at what members think to be a fair price)

Mike B 11-01-19 01:48 PM

OC14
My inventory notes suggest my attributed example is 55mm, but I am not exact and 54mm is very close. Construction looks good, with solid back. I tend to reserve opinion until handled, but looking good from the images. Not that easy to find these days, so tend not to be cheap.
Mike

Roy 11-01-19 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

I have owned a few of these so dug back in my records to this OR's example shown. This was part of a nice group of items (including a First Pattern F-S Fighting Knife) that was attributed to a member of No2.

Hope it's of interest.

Cheers,

Roy

Belly 11-01-19 03:07 PM

Lovely spoon made badge Roy :)

Roy 11-01-19 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a very old photo I took years back of the grouping that this badge came with.

Enjoy,

Roy

Mike B 11-01-19 03:21 PM

Roy - Lovely grouping. Attribution provides great opportunities for research and the additional items help tell the story.
Mike

Roy 11-01-19 03:31 PM

Thanks Chaps,

I seem to recall the photograph showed him actually wearing the badge, I will have a dig around to see if I can find it on my old files.

Cheers,

Roy

Roy 11-01-19 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Apologies for this poor image.

I can't seem to find a 'scan' of the photograph it's self but I did take this photograph of the badge 'atop' the photo that shows him wearing the actual badge - just visible.

Cheers,

Roy