British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   RNAS Yeovilton, Air Traffic Control truck. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77994)

Phil2M 28-03-20 06:59 PM

RNAS Yeovilton, Air Traffic Control truck.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

As a mad man who has always wanted an ex military vehicle (4x4), I finally found one that appealed to me.

I have added the front nudge bar and will be adding side steps to make it easier for the nieces and nephews to get in and out. The black lettering (AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL) was removed by the dealer who sold it to me. It had to be re registered as a road vehicle too, so original plate is gone. Other than that it is as it was at RNAS Yeovilton. It has the ground radio, beacon lights, search lights and LED sign board all still wired up. I will keep the wheels original too, despite people telling me I should fit alloys.

The last photo, from Google maps, shows what I assume to be her, parked at the ATC tower in Yeovilton.

I named her after my nans, and I hope she lasts me a long time.

My neighbour says its ugly, but I wanted something different so b******s to him :D

Hope you are all staying safe and sound.

Cheers,

Phil

Chipper 28-03-20 07:25 PM

Lovely, and full of history. Congrats Phil, looks great

cheers, Tim

Phil2M 28-03-20 07:30 PM

Thanks Tim, I was told originally by the dealer that she was RAF. The paper work and radio screen proved otherwise and I was really pleased to have her. Just this lockdown has stopped me being able to use her much :(

Chacal 28-03-20 07:47 PM

I thought you were putting a big "4" on each side. :D

Phil2M 28-03-20 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 504305)
I thought you were putting a big "4" on each side. :D

I decided that I didn't want to get beaten up by the local kids :D

Sonofacqms 28-03-20 09:10 PM

Phil, congratulations on getting this wonderful vehicle, which hat will you be wearing when your behind the wheel?:rolleyes:

Stay well at a distance . . !

Regards Rob

Phil2M 28-03-20 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 504312)
Phil, congratulations on getting this wonderful vehicle, which hat will you be wearing when your behind the wheel?:rolleyes:

Stay well at a distance . . !

Regards Rob

Cheers Rob, That's a hat I will have to find :) I am guessing they wear baseball caps with HMS Heron or RNAS insignia of some sort on them.

Does anybody know the answer to that?

Also, does anybody work there who knows what the second beacon light switch does? I hear the relay clicking but nothing seems to happen outside.

Fatherofthree 28-03-20 09:44 PM

Nice one Phi.

Two things:

1. The Long tailed Tits, Robins, Wrens et al will see you coming in this beast.

2. Has Eddie Stobart used the name on any of lorries ? :D

Stay safe m'boy.

Regards.

Brian

Phil2M 28-03-20 10:05 PM

Hello Brian, mate, unfortunately I won't be able to drive her in my woods :( Just the bright pink work van for that :) Even the tits think I look like one of them :)

I don't know if they have, do you think they will sue? :eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

cavalryman 29-03-20 10:09 AM

Air Traffic Control Vehicle

Hello this is Hotel Yankee nine nine permission to land I'm coming in heavy......oops! sorry Phil got carried away there.

could the second beacon switch be for a bird scarer/squawker device? regards John

Phil2M 29-03-20 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavalryman (Post 504373)
Hello this is Hotel Yankee nine nine permission to land I'm coming in heavy......oops! sorry Phil got carried away there.

could the second beacon switch be for a bird scarer/squawker device? regards John

Good idea, I will have to get up on a ladder and see if there are any obvious signs of something being removed. If there is, i'll try and rewire something in there, maybe aircraft noise on a programmable speaker 🤪