British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Needed to ID these items -- Please -- (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78482)

Jackhr 28-04-20 06:46 AM

Needed to ID these items -- Please --

10 Attachment(s)
Hi all
I am helping a 92 Yr old lady friend who's husband passed a few years back and I have been asked to help ID and value these badges that I have listed . Any info can be shared in the thread or email me direct at jrm@bigpond.net.au Also the belts they are on.

All help is appreciated
Rob

Arthur R 28-04-20 07:54 AM

That's quite a collection. To set the ball rolling :

Photo 1 : belt 1 : the crowned CP2 monogram is Cape Police District 2, from Cape Colony 1890s.

Photo 2 : belt 2 : the crests in buckled straps with mottoes on them look like the badges worn by Scottish clan chiefs and their followers, and are not necessarily military.

Frank Kelley 28-04-20 08:27 AM

That is certainly an interesting mixture, I particularly like the large South African Heavy Artillery title on the uppermost belt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 508056)
Hi all
I am helping a 92 Yr old lady friend who's husband passed a few years back and I have been asked to help ID and value these badges that I have listed . Any info can be shared in the thread or email me direct at jrm@bigpond.net.au Also the belts they are on.

All help is appreciated
Rob

mooke07 28-04-20 11:46 AM

Hi Rob,

First time I have seen a King's Colonial's Australasian Squadron badge on a 'trophy belt' (last panel). Dates of this badge being worn are 1902 - 1903.

Cracking set of badges on there, thanks for sharing, cheers Dean.

Arthur R 28-04-20 02:19 PM

A few more :

Photo 2 : belt 1 : 'Wit Rifles' s/title presumably Witwatersrand Rifles (South Africa).

Photo 3 : belt 1 : '2 SAHA' s/title appears to be 2nd South African Heavy Artillery WWI.

Photo 4 : belt 3 : the group of five buttons at the end appear to be US Army.

Photo 5 : belt 2 : springbok head in circlet is South African general service badge WWI onwards (Dutch wording indicates pre-1926).

Photo 9 : belt 2 : smaller version of the above (Afrikaans wording indicates post-1926).

Home Guard 28-04-20 04:24 PM

In the 4th picture the bottom belt - those five round bronze badges are US WWI collar dogs.

When you are ready to sell, I might be interested in one of the badges I saw in a picture.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Jackhr 28-04-20 09:51 PM

Thanks it all helps on the non aussie badges and things as I am trying to let her know prices and weather it's better to break them up or sell as a whole ??

Cheers Rob

slick_mick 29-04-20 12:49 AM

Some nice Aussie badges there.

Mick

Jackhr 29-04-20 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 508166)
Some nice Aussie badges there.

Mick

Yep and the buttons are not to bad either . On another thread posted .

Jackhr 29-04-20 03:10 AM

So on the 5 belts that are UK , SA and anything else is there any badges that are over say 30 quid the Australian badges I have under control.

Thanks Rob

Alan O 29-04-20 12:20 PM

The Liverpool pals and Tyneside Scottish regularly go for £40-50

Chacal 29-04-20 01:44 PM

Hi Rob

Photo 5, 2nd belt, 3rd badge is Palestine Police - possibly a collar badge as it seems a bit small to be a cap badge (compared to the others).

Graham

Luke H 29-04-20 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 508222)
The Liverpool pals and Tyneside Scottish regularly go for £40-50

Clearly the badges on these belts are a bit of an ensemble spanning from Boer War King’s Colonials to post 1920 Royal Signals.

The Tyneside Scottish lacks the voids found on originals making it suspect as being a restrike.

The Lovat Scouts (one with the thick eyebrow) and 3rd King’s Own Hussars (without underscore) would also appear to be fakes.

Jackhr 29-04-20 11:23 PM

I agree that these belts have been put together just to display the badges and yes from what I have been told so far as some are re strikes so i have explained this to the lady and badges have been sold as a lot with that understanding so all are happy .

Thanks again to all who have helped

Rob