British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New TRFs? Royal Tank Regiment and Small Arms School Corps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75463)

Stafford Knot 05-10-19 02:35 PM

New TRFs? Royal Tank Regiment and Small Arms School Corps

2 Attachment(s)
I spotted these two TRFs for sale and wondered if they are genuine issue.

The first is said to be the TRF for the Royal Tank Regiment. It's the right regimental colours but vertically aligned. References show that the RTR have taken to using an outline of a WW1 tank as their TRF, so I question whether this is a TRF at all. Bill Thomas's pamphlet on Cloth Beret badges suggests it could be Westminster Dragoons helmet badge.

The second is said to belong to the Small Arms School Corps. The stripes are the regimental colours but horizontal as opposed to the former TRF that has them vertically (See Robin Hodges book). I doubt this is an official TRF either as the Army website shows SASC personnel wearing a TRF showing the crossed muskets/vVickers gun on olive as a TRF.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

MarkGD 05-10-19 02:39 PM

Staffs, saw the SASC one last week, confirm it is the Vickers etc on Army Green, Regards Mark

Badger44 05-10-19 03:41 PM

I have the SASC one, and was told that it was trial version when TRFs were first being looked at, but was rejected in favour of the one with vertical stripes, so was never worn. Possibly anyone with access to past copies of the Army Dress Committee approvals could verify this.

54Bty 05-10-19 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger44 (Post 489275)
I have the SASC one, and was told that it was trial version when TRFs were first being looked at, but was rejected in favour of the one with vertical stripes, so was never worn.

Possibly anyone with access to past copies of the Army Dress Committee approvals could verify this.

I doubt very much that it was a trial pattern. The SASC vertical stripes badge was introduced in 1998 as a unit flash, I obtained mine from the Corps in 2001, and it was approved by the ADC in 2002.

Unfortunately the published minuets of the ADC do not contain all the discussions of the meeting, in this case the decision was the same as a few others, TRF for SASC agreed.

Marc

grey_green_acorn 05-10-19 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Westminster Dragoon’s helmet flash - Op TELIC

Tim

engr9266 06-10-19 10:51 AM

SASC TRF

3 Attachment(s)
I have the following 3 TRF to the SASC.

54Bty 06-10-19 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 489323)
I have the following 3 TRF to the SASC.

Yes, a lot of collectors have the centre one, but where did you get it from? As far as I know it was not used by the SASC.

Marc