British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Good Conduct chevrons. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68415)

Hoot 12-06-18 05:32 PM

Good Conduct chevrons.

Can anybody tell me if good conduct chevrons were ever awarded for less than two years service in the British Army please?.

grumpy 12-06-18 06:05 PM

Never for the regular army

The VF/TF and Militia/SR are a slightly greyer area as less well documented but I am pretty sure also never.

Colonial and Commonwealth forces in war time also not entirely transparent.

Hoot 12-06-18 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 446115)
Never for the regular army

The VF/TF and Militia/SR are a slightly greyer area as less well documented but I am pretty sure also never.

Colonial and Commonwealth forces in war time also not entirely transparent.

Thanks Grumpy, that is what I thought. The reason I ask is because of the news today concerning a former Lance Corporal of the Royal Fusiliers and taxi driver murderer. I recall him being at Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld during his trial and he was wearing a good conduct chevron on his left sleeve. As I understand it he was born on the 30th April 1947 and enlisted in 1965 at the age of 18 so after April 30th that year. He murdered the unfortunate Felix Reese on the 3rd of December 1966 and was found guilty and sentenced early the following year. I just don't get it.

fairlie63 13-06-18 09:18 AM

Dodgy mob those Royal Fusiliers, must be all the bourbon they drink :p

54Bty 13-06-18 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 446120)
Thanks Grumpy, that is what I thought. The reason I ask is because of the news today concerning a former Lance Corporal of the Royal Fusiliers and taxi driver murderer. I recall him being at Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld during his trial and he was wearing a good conduct chevron on his left sleeve. As I understand it he was born on the 30th April 1947 and enlisted in 1965 at the age of 18 so after April 30th that year. He murdered the unfortunate Felix Reese on the 3rd of December 1966 and was found guilty and sentenced early the following year. I just don't get it.

Maybe a borrowed Uniform.

Marc

leigh kitchen 13-06-18 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 446120)

Ah, a certain Mr Grantham I presume?
Has he sniffed it then? Or murdered someone else?

leigh kitchen 13-06-18 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 446140)
Dodgy mob those Royal Fusiliers, must be all the bourbon they drink :p

I resemble that nasturtium.
It's a case of Intravenous rather than drinking nowadays anyway (blood group JB by the way, if any of you are donors).

Hoot 13-06-18 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 446184)
Maybe a borrowed Uniform.

Marc

If it was borrowed then surely somebody would have noticed the chevron, unless it was somebody with a perverse sense of humour.

Hoot 13-06-18 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 446186)
Ah, a certain Mr Grantham I presume?
Has he sniffed it then? Or murdered someone else?

You presume correctly. He's still alive at the moment so I hear. As for the question of murder, by calling himself an actor he's been getting away with murder for a good forty years. Mind you, the reason he's around today and living free is because he got away with murder in the first place. Bless you Lizel Reese.

grey_green_acorn 13-06-18 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A picture might be of interest!

Tim

Hoot 13-06-18 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 446206)
A picture might be of interest!

Tim

Blimey, that takes me back. Look at him, a lifelong cocky git. He should have been strung up in 1967 for what he did. He did ten years, Lizel, the widow of Felix Reese, got a lifetime of grief and bewilderment. The sheer injustice of it all makes me sick.

Alex Rice 14-06-18 06:01 AM

Was he possibly a boy-soldier or CCF and got the chevron from there?

Hoot 14-06-18 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 446228)
Was he possibly a boy-soldier or CCF and got the chevron from there?

Not from what is known of him, although I don't think boys service would count towards it anyway.

grumpy 14-06-18 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 446247)
Not from what is known of him, although I don't think boys service would count towards it anyway.

Boy service and GC badges are another can of worms\.

6 QR 1961: “in the case of soldiers enlisted for 12 years service from the date of attaining the age of 18, unforfeited service prior to that age shall also be reckoned" .

I have to confess that I do not understand this, but such cases would be rather rare.

Hoot 14-06-18 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 446280)
Boy service and GC badges are another can of worms\.

6 QR 1961: “in the case of soldiers enlisted for 12 years service from the date of attaining the age of 18, unforfeited service prior to that age shall also be reckoned" .

I have to confess that I do not understand this, but such cases would be rather rare.

Presumably, someone enlisting at the age of 17 years and 6 months and who avoided the Glasshouse between then and their 18th birthday, not so easy for some, would gain a 6 month bonus.