British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Canadian Navy (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cap badges of the RCN - PO & CPO badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9185)

RCN 01-02-10 04:23 PM

Cap badges of the RCN - PO & CPO badges

1 Attachment(s)
When a rating was promoted to PO1st class his uniform changed to a Class I uniform. He now wore the peaked cap with the PO1 cap badge.

The Petty Officer's (PO) Cap badge was worked in gold & silver wire embroidery with a red crown & silver metal anchor in the centre.

Variants of the PO cap badge are seen due to different manufacturers, but the basic design remains the same for all.

The PO1 cap badge is illustrated below:

RCN 01-02-10 04:25 PM

PO metal Cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
During 2 WW, approx 1944, due to economy measures at the time, the PO cap badge came out in an all metal version, & again, one sees variants of this badge. This badge also survived well into the 1950’s.

An example is illustrated below:

RCN 01-02-10 04:38 PM

PO Sun Helmet Cap badge

2 Attachment(s)
In the post war period another all metal version of the PO1 cap badge came out. This cap badge was intended to be worn on the pith sun helmet for wear in tropical climates. It had double tang type fastener on the reverse.
Both KC & QC versions are shown below:

I have to admit tho I have never seen a photo of an RCN rating wearing a pith helmet.

An example of this badge is illustrated below:

RCN 01-02-10 04:44 PM

CPO Cap badges

2 Attachment(s)
When a PO1 was promoted to Chief Petty Officer (CPO) his badge changed to the CPO badge.

With the CPO cap badge, the rope around the central anchor was replaced by a wreath of oak leaves.

As with the previously illustrated cap badges one sees many variants of the CPO cap badges as well. Many examples were made by private military\naval tailors.

Here are a couple of 1WW\interwar era CPO badges:

RCN 01-02-10 04:46 PM

CPO Cap badges

3 Attachment(s)
A few more examples from the 2WW/ post war period:

RCN 01-02-10 04:50 PM

CPO metal cap badge

2 Attachment(s)
During 2 WW, approx 1944, due to economy measures at the time, the CPO, like the PO cap badge, came out in metal, & again one sees variants of this badge.

This badge also survived well into the 1950’s.

An example with a variant is illustrated below:

RCN 01-02-10 04:53 PM

CPO Sun Helmet Cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
In the post war period another all metal version of the CPO cap badge came out. This was similar to the PO badge of the same type. This cap badge was intended to be worn on the pith sun helmet for wear in tropical climates. It had double tang type fastener on the reverse.

I have to admit tho I have never seen a photo of an RCN rating wearing a pith helmet.

An example of this badge is illustrated below:

RCN 01-02-10 04:56 PM

CPO Sun Helmet Cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
The CPO badge also has a Queen's crown version.

In this photo you can view the reverse tang fastener:

RCN 01-02-10 04:59 PM

CPO Cap badges

1 Attachment(s)
A group of CPO cap badges to show the varieties:

RCN 03-02-10 03:39 PM

CPO QC cap badges

1 Attachment(s)
Shown below are the CPO cap badges for the post 1953 period, both in full size & miniature. These cap badges remained in service up until the 1970 Integration of the CAF period:

Phillip Herring 03-02-10 04:07 PM

From what I have seen in photographs, the PO cap badge was worn by all ranks PO and below between the time the CF uniforms came in and the issue of branch badges. I have seen pictures of privates/ordinary seamen wearing that badge on their forage caps in the early 1970s.

Phil

RCN 03-02-10 04:21 PM

Thats is correct Phil. It was worn on the green uniform forage caps.