British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1st W.W. Silks in Frame (Dix Noonan Auction) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77461)

billy 22-02-20 09:10 AM

1st W.W. Silks in Frame (Dix Noonan Auction)

15 Attachment(s)
Hi all, bought this at the Dix Noonan sale 2 years ago now? Mainly it wasn't selling, I of course hadn't looked at it in the preview, but well a frame with glass at £25 - this had a potential to house badges!!

Well how do you hide something so big from the wife? "In plain view", all wrapped up and so far not a word, Rob selling the book of Silks, and his Cousins research could I think unlock some History, I fear embarrassingly that not having looked at it in the Preview, it being wrapped up at the saleroom I have never set eyes on it till now!!! I had meant to have had it all done within a few months all the plans where in my head but other things git in the way and has stayed as is till now, So! Along with me I hope you'll enjoy the unwrapping and what I found! its good I promise !!!!

All the best a very embarrassed billy

billy 22-02-20 09:27 AM

14 Attachment(s)
There is a story within a story here, the cards to his Wife, Birthdsy cards to his Son and Daughter, butwas happy to see the Silk for Rouen, (My Grandfether died of Iinjuries from the Somme at Rouen Military Hospital), So! This chap must have been there? The card for 1918 suggested he made it home, But he could have sent this in January? But! the inclusion of a picture of him central to frame surrounded by the Silks suggest a different outcome perhaps?

So, from being glad to see the inclusion of a Silk for Rouen it has in fact now made me feel sad to see it in there! For the outcome is of him actually still being there and off not getting back Home!

Have a few more pictures of the main picture and of what I found in one of these Silk cards, will post shortly, I hope this has touched you as it has me, all the best billy

sapper533 22-02-20 09:32 AM

Fabulous item, think I would have been tempted in your position too

engr9266 22-02-20 09:32 AM

Billy, fantastic collection there and for only £25 :eek:
Well done, I hope you keep them all together (unless there is a RE one...only joking)
See you on the 8th March hopefully.
Jerry

billy 22-02-20 10:33 AM

Definitely Jerry, have the item you requested put to one side for you.

Can do up the frame by resanding and application of a decent stain, cleaning of the glass will surely help also but the card has gone brown with age, do I keep as is or remount the cards? I have to talk to someone who uses mount board as have an idea on mounting if I go ahead with this, don't want to damage the Silks, the cards themslves are in fantastic shape, reverse of board has some form of paper tissue adhered to rear of board / card? Or do I keep as is?

Advice and opinions very much appreciated, billy

Sonofacqms 22-02-20 11:38 AM

Silks frame

Billy, all I can say is what a bargain and what a fabulous family group of cards.
How nice of the man at the front to find silk embroidered cards for all the family, he looks like a Kings Royal Rifle, but I may be wrong.

As for doing up the frame and re-mounting, that's for you to decide, I would leave it as is, after all it's been like that for the best part of 100 years.

The only thing I think I would do if possible, is remove the backing sheet carefully and photograph the messages on the cards, this may bring out more of the history of the family.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful item with us and all I can say is well done!

Regards Rob

Sonofacqms 22-02-20 06:03 PM

Medals

The rifleman has two medal ribbons on his uniform, are they South African or Great War ribbons?

Rob

Hoot 23-02-20 11:44 AM

He looks to be wearing the ribbons of the War Medal and the Victory Medal so he clearly survived the war.

Frank Kelley 23-02-20 01:52 PM

Can't go wrong for twenty five quid, a bargain me thinks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 501084)
Hi all, bought this at the Dix Noonan sale 2 years ago now? Mainly it wasn't selling, I of course hadn't looked at it in the preview, but well a frame with glass at £25 - this had a potential to house badges!!

Well how do you hide something so big from the wife? "In plain view", all wrapped up and so far not a word, Rob selling the book of Silks, and his Cousins research could I think unlock some History, I fear embarrassingly that not having looked at it in the Preview, it being wrapped up at the saleroom I have never set eyes on it till now!!! I had meant to have had it all done within a few months all the plans where in my head but other things git in the way and has stayed as is till now, So! Along with me I hope you'll enjoy the unwrapping and what I found! its good I promise !!!!

All the best a very embarrassed billy

billy 23-02-20 05:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the Cap badge and Insignia on his Arms

Hoot 24-02-20 09:55 AM

A CSM of the KRRC with three overseas service chevrons for 1916-17-18.

billy 29-07-23 02:57 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I have a place to work in now with a good bench, so an overdue item for renovation, it needed doing!

I have left it well alone apart from cleaning it all up and fixing frame where it needed, wire wool off the frame and applied a solution of a varnish oak finish to get fame tidy! It was covered in old Wax and this had old paint residue and was a very Dark Oak, this is now a more lighter shade and looks good an application of more would darken the frame if needed too!

The glass I wanted to keep but had broken corners and let in beasties so have replaced this, anyhow my restoration is finished and hanging up! a nice end to a Saturday!

Hope you enjoy, especially Rob (Sonofacqms), I left it as intact as I could Rob!

All the best Billy

Fatherofthree 29-07-23 07:30 PM

Nice job Billy.

You've developed a new skill that I'm sure you can put to good use. :D

Regards.

Brian

Sonofacqms 29-07-23 07:53 PM

Re-frame cards

Billy, what a great job you have made of this frame, it looks absolutely superb and as near as I can see the cards are intact, did you manage to get any information from the back of the cards?

Of course there probably would not be much information about military matters due to censorship and security, but addresses are always a good reference for research.

Again a superb item at a bargain price..

Rob

3dg 29-07-23 08:16 PM

Absolutely beautiful Billy, a fantastic job, well done.
Chris