British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Artillery Badge help needed (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72383)

Transvaal_Ranger 24-02-19 04:58 PM

Artillery Badge help needed

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Would be grateful with some help in ID'ing the attached artillery badge - not a style that, in my limited experience, I'm familiar with.

I'm presume it is a helmet plate of some sort? Has four solid lugs to the reverse.

Regards,

Neil

Attachment 202374

magpie 24-02-19 05:20 PM

Part of a belt buckle?

leigh kitchen 24-02-19 05:43 PM

Definitely RA and not RE?

Transvaal_Ranger 24-02-19 07:13 PM

Fair point...just assumed the Ubique was RA.

leigh kitchen 24-02-19 07:36 PM

It reminds me of RE belt plate designs, but not a subject I know much (anything) about.

Toby Purcell 24-02-19 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It’s the second pattern centre piece for RE SNCOs waist belt plates

kingsley 24-02-19 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There are a whole series of Vol pattern WM buckles as well, with both large and small badges attached. The WM ones usually do not have "Ubique". One variety has the badge integral with the back plate, most have the badge attached.
Is it correct that these badges were ONLY worn on buckles? If so, surely they should not all have normal "hat badge" lugs? Also, I do not think they were worn only by officers.

Transvaal_Ranger 24-02-19 10:08 PM

Thanks Toby.

I presume from the crown it is Victorian?

Transvaal_Ranger 24-02-19 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 470160)
If so, surely they should not all have normal "hat badge" lugs?

The lugs are unlike I've seen on other badges. Four of them, quite heavy duty with square edges.

fougasse1940 24-02-19 11:12 PM

Weren't these badges used on binocular cases?

Rgds, Thomas

Toby Purcell 24-02-19 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 470160)
There are a whole series of Vol pattern WM buckles as well, with both large and small badges attached. The WM ones usually do not have "Ubique". One variety has the badge integral with the back plate, most have the badge attached.
Is it correct that these badges were ONLY worn on buckles? If so, surely they should not all have normal "hat badge" lugs? Also, I do not think they were worn only by officers.

A very similar belt plate was also worn by the Royal Garrison Artillery (but not by RHA and RFA) and I think that is what has caused some confusion. The almost identical nature is mentioned on the badge collection image that I posted.

Here (enclosed) is the first pattern of the same belt plate.

Toby Purcell 24-02-19 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transvaal_Ranger (Post 470161)
Thanks Toby.

I presume from the crown it is Victorian?

Yes it is the stylised Victorian form of St Edwards Crown.

kingsley 28-02-19 12:30 AM

I am more confused than before. We know they were worn by both arty and Engineers with a LOT of variations on belt buckles.
Were they worn anywhere else? Pouches? Head dress? The buckle badges (when you find one without the plate) are easily identified by their tiny lugs. What about the ones with ordinary lugs or screws?