British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What are these tally bands for???? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84685)

Jackhr 03-05-21 08:12 AM

What are these tally bands for????

2 Attachment(s)
What period would the Navy tally bands be and any info on the ships ? also what are these tally bands the Medic, Arty and Engineers for? hats or what ??

Thanks Rob

Alex Rice 03-05-21 10:40 AM

The S(crown & anchor)A ribbon was worn by South African Woman's Naval Service (SWANS) ratings in WWII. Strangely enough, they seem to be more common than the ones worn by males, which was SA(crown & anchor) SA. Probably because they were home-service and there must have been many more made than were used. Still quite scarce and sought after though.
Cheers,
Alex

Jackhr 03-05-21 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 547852)
The S(crown & anchor)A ribbon was worn by South African Woman's Naval Service (SWANS) ratings in WWII. Strangely enough, they seem to be more common than the ones worn by males, which was SA(crown & anchor) SA. Probably because they were home-service and there must have been many more made than were used. Still quite scarce and sought after though.
Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the reply any idea what it is valued at?

Cheers Rob

engr9266 03-05-21 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To be honest Rob, I have no idea about these, never seen them before as not my field of collecting.
I would hazard a guess that RA ARTILLERY & RA ENGINEERS are maybe Royal Australian Artillery & Royal Australian Engineers in a Seaborne capacity??
I have this Tally, attached, for the RE Submarine miners (it is a repro having only seen worn in a picture) who were based in the Gosport area of Hampshire
from around 1878 to 1904.
Not mush help.
Jerry.

mike_vee 03-05-21 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 547856)
I would hazard a guess that RA ARTILLERY & RA ENGINEERS are maybe Royal Australian Artillery & Royal Australian Engineers in a Seaborne capacity??

Jerry.

Found both examples on this Digger History page :

Quote:

Cap Tallies (Army)

For a period from pre-Federation to 1914 the Army sometimes wore Navy style cap tallies. They were usually worn on the white "cabbage-tree" hat (giggle hat, fore-runner to the bush hat).

In some cases they were also worn on the ORs peaked cap as seen here on the cap of a 1914 Recruiting Sergeant.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...loth-other.htm

Alex Rice 03-05-21 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 547854)
Thanks for the reply any idea what it is valued at?

Cheers Rob

I really have no idea. I have had my own one for over 20 years but expect they could fetch anything from £25-30.
Cheers,
Alex

Jackhr 03-05-21 10:13 PM

Thanks to all who replied , I shall have dig further .

Cheers Rob

Jackhr 04-05-21 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 547856)
To be honest Rob, I have no idea about these, never seen them before as not my field of collecting.
I have this Tally, attached, for the RE Submarine miners (it is a repro having only seen worn in a picture) who were based in the Gosport area of Hampshire
from around 1878 to 1904.
Not mush help.
Jerry.

Can you show the back of the band also where did you get it??

Jackhr 04-05-21 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 547837)
What period would the Navy tally bands be and any info on the ships ? also what are these tally bands the Medic, Arty and Engineers for? hats or what ??

Thanks Rob

Have found out that these type of tally bands were made in the 80's apart from the Australia, SA and British which are ok.

Rob

kingsley 04-05-21 03:37 AM

Rob, I would be interested in the Engineers tally band if available.
Thanks

trueblue 10-06-21 06:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
When these Hat Ribbons turned up in Quantity in the 1980's
Collectors being unsure of them labelled them as Fakes Duds etc.etc
There are 2 distinct types of Material and sized Lettering
Used in manufacture of them
2 Pics of one of the Military Contracts showing Dates,Makers and numbers imade
GM