British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   RUR airborne Fifty Second shoulder title, opinions wanted (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83225)

Luc 11-02-21 09:29 PM

OBLI airborne Fifty Second shoulder title, opinions wanted

2 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen, this shoulder title just sold for £670.00 on ebay. Could I have your opinions please?

popskipa 11-02-21 09:47 PM

It looks original to me, just like one I owned some years ago.

Keith

3battalion 12-02-21 03:14 AM

I don't like it Luc.

I love it! Nice original title, but that's a high price for that title. I believe one sold on the forum for half that not long ago.

Paul

billy 12-02-21 05:55 PM

Officer's Hallmarked R.U.R. & Snco,s badges

2 Attachment(s)
Hi this came with a card saying the owner of this badge was at Pegasus Bridge, but was also dropped into Arnhem, have tried asking the Museum in Belfast for help getting Officer's involved at Pegasus Bridge, so I might try and compare against those Officer's at Arnhem, (R.U.R. would narrow it down), but no joy from them!

It could be he was at Pegasus Bridge, but Arnhem is a family mistaken memory, not knowing the facts but a story which has just grown in the telling? Could any of you shed some light on this as I don't know how to begin looking for this type of stuff? Many thanks Billy

3battalion 12-02-21 06:37 PM

Message sent Billy.

Regards

Paul

grey_green_acorn 12-02-21 10:57 PM

We seem to have confusion here from the initial post as the “FIFTY-SECOND” title is Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry not RUR airborne?
Perhaps meant to be Rare airborne ........

Tim

billy 13-02-21 11:04 AM

Sorry Tim I sort of hijacked these nembers knowledge of Pegasus Bridge to acquire some knowledge to this badge, apologies to any members I've inadvertently upset! Billy

grey_green_acorn 13-02-21 11:39 AM

Billy,
Not upset at all. Your RUR badges and story look very interesting. From my reading it is unlikely that an officer from 1 RUR would have been in the Normandy and Arnhem air landing operations, but more than possible in Normandy and the Rhine Crossing. But never say never!

Tim

Luc 13-02-21 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 538565)
We seem to have confusion here from the initial post as the “FIFTY-SECOND” title is Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry not RUR airborne?

You are absolutely right Tim, I have corrected the title of this thread.

The title shown is different from the ones that I have on file. The black backing cloth is new to me, I have only seen khaki cloth before. Also, the letter "S" is unusually pointed at the bottom and the details of the white outline to the rear is not what I'm familiar with.

Mike B 14-02-21 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 538662)

The title shown is different from the ones that I have on file. The black backing cloth is new to me, I have only seen khaki cloth before. Also, the letter "S" is unusually pointed at the bottom and the details of the white outline to the rear is not what I'm familiar with.

Luc - your opinion is always valued - is this a more typical example? From a very reliable source

Luc 16-02-21 08:11 PM

Mike, yes that is what I would expect to see.

Mike B 17-02-21 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 538963)
Mike, yes that is what I would expect to see.

Many thanks Luc.

NEMO 18-02-21 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 538662)

AGREED ! Luc , I had a funny feeling too not saying its wrong but different from what I used to seeing ?

arnhem2280 18-02-21 10:53 PM

RUR airborne Fifty SEcond shoulder title opinions wanted

Hi,

I have had two of these in the past at a time when I didn't make images of them. What I did do was colour copy them on a photocopier.

I did both the front and rear of the two titles and will post them tomorrow.

What I can say is that neither of them looked like the one that started this thread they were both like the ones Mike has posted.

Cheers

Arnhem

Mike B 19-02-21 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnhem2280 (Post 539221)
Hi,

I have had two of these in the past at a time when I didn't make images of them. What I did do was colour copy them on a photocopier.

I did both the front and rear of the two titles and will post them tomorrow.

What I can say is that neither of them looked like the one that started this thread they were both like the ones Mike has posted.

Cheers

Arnhem

Cheers Arnhem