British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Glengarry backing plates (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71489)

mm1 05-01-19 01:16 PM

Glengarry backing plates

Hi All,

have just purchased a Glengarry backing plate with crown. The crown is in white metal. Can anyone tell me if there are a lot of white metal HPC's to go with the crown or just a few ? I wrongly assumed that the crown would be gilt..

Cheers in advance and please excuse my ignorance..

All the best and good badge hunting for 2019 !

manchesters 05-01-19 01:27 PM

Rare to find two piece VB glengarry badges.

Is it a QVC or KC.

regards

mm1 05-01-19 01:31 PM

badges

Hi Simon,

QVC...so white metal is for Vol. Battalions ? Another question - are the backing plates being reproduced ? Must be very easy and cheap to make...

Mark

KLR 05-01-19 01:31 PM

That's a very interesting question - because a WM crown would suggest a Vol Bn badge. All the Glengarry VB badges I have come with crowns soldered / brazed on the HPC bit BUT why didn't they have detachable parts as the regulars did - who only needed to have one HPC badge - whereas the VBs apparently needed two !?

manchesters 05-01-19 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1 (Post 464410)
Hi Simon,

QVC...so white metal is for Vol. Battalions ? Another question - are the backing plates being reproduced ? Must be very easy and cheap to make...

Mark

The plates are not being commercially produced, no

Mercian 05-01-19 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought this badge about 25 years ago in Australia, a brass hpc with a white metal crown soldered to it. I think it is all genuine.

manchesters 05-01-19 11:09 PM

The only reason I can possibly think off for that very wrong combination is that it was once blackened for one of your VB's.

regards

Mercian 06-01-19 08:26 AM

Yes it is a strange combination that's the reason I bought it. I had thought of separating them, but decided not to.

Frank Kelley 06-01-19 01:03 PM

What a lovely piece that is, I think that I'd have bought that too if I had seen it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercian (Post 464430)
I bought this badge about 25 years ago in Australia, a brass hpc with a white metal crown soldered to it. I think it is all genuine.

Jeff Mc William 06-01-19 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercian (Post 464445)
Yes it is a strange combination that's the reason I bought it. I had thought of separating them, but decided not to.

Wise decision. The lugs on both pieces (as opposed to loops) indicate a "purpose-made" item.

mm1 11-01-19 12:09 PM

backing plate

2 Attachment(s)
After purchasing a backing plate and crown, I only had a couple of HPC's to put with them. Would this HPC(purchased a while ago on the forum) have been used as a glengarry badge ? It was the best match colour wise...

Please forgive my ignorance - still learning ! If they could be used together, what colour backing would be used behind harp - some shade of green ?

Cheers, Mark

Jeff Mc William 11-01-19 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1 (Post 464998)
After purchasing a backing plate and crown, I only had a couple of HPC's to put with them. Would this HPC(purchased a while ago on the forum) have been used as a glengarry badge ? It was the best match colour wise...

Please forgive my ignorance - still learning ! If they could be used together, what colour backing would be used behind harp - some shade of green ?

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark
Nice combination. The backing cloth would be Red (as for all Royal regiments). Regards Jeff