British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bearskin restoration project (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52400)

Tigerlily 21-03-16 02:15 PM

Bearskin restoration project

2 Attachment(s)
It's not as bad as I'd feared just needs a little bit of tlc?:eek:
Anyway next step is get a saddler to make a liner for me(merci beaucoup Andy GPR).
And yes of course, despite the condition, I have tried it on :o that's the rule of the house.

Alli

(apologies to those on gmic or twitter who may have already seen my bearskin:D)

grenadierguardsman 21-03-16 04:18 PM

A nice brown tint to it, that's an old original one.
Andy

Paul Spellman 21-03-16 04:23 PM

:D;)You could leave it as it is and do Dennis the Menace impressions
Paul

Tigerlily 21-03-16 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Andy, yeah it has a bit of age to it I think but not ancient. I have just taken a pic of the inside. I'm none the wiser.
It looked much worse in the pictures on ebay I thought I was going to have to dye it as it looked really pink, but its not too bad I'll leave it well alone. I can't work out where the plume goes, should there be a little gap?

Paul I've just given it a nice brush, my two real life Gnashers are not impressed with it. It will look smart once I've sorted it out.

I have to say It hurts wearing it but I really like it, its quite fetching :D

49lassiepen 21-03-16 04:38 PM

Lucky you have the wicker basket I purchased a busby/bear skin to the R S.D.G some years ago which did have the wicker basket when sold at auction [a large job lot] When I asked the vendor where it was ,he said to make it easier to post he threw it away I still have this -one of my grandsons dressing up hats
David

Tigerlily 21-03-16 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 351976)
Lucky you have the wicker basket I purchased a busby/bear skin to the R S.D.G some years ago which did have the wicker basket when sold at auction [a large job lot] When I asked the vendor where it was ,he said to make it easier to post he threw it away I still have this -one of my grandsons dressing up hats
David

Noooo!! that's awful :eek: I would have been so upset. Oh well a unique dressing up item I suppose.

grenadierguardsman 21-03-16 05:20 PM

There should be a little leather patch with a slot in on both sides of the skin.
Andy

Tigerlily 21-03-16 05:22 PM

Thanks Andy I'll have another look.

RCN 21-03-16 05:58 PM

Your bearskin

Looks as if your bearskin has potential Alli, & that is the main idea - if there is potential there it can be done!

Be very interested in seeing how the restoration project turns out, I was unaware they were dyed originally. We have thousands of black bears over here in Canada!

Best.....Bryan

Jelly Terror 21-03-16 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 351976)
David

Ouch! [Grimace].

Tigerlily 21-03-16 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 351993)
Looks as if your bearskin has potential Alli, & that is the main idea - if there is potential there it can be done!

Be very interested in seeing how the restoration project turns out, I was unaware they were dyed originally. We have thousands of black bears over here in Canada!

Best.....Bryan

No I meant I thought I might have to dye it as on ebay it looked pink, but it actually doesn't look to bad in the flesh, I'm relieved as I was worrying about attacking it with hair dye :eek:

Phil2M 21-03-16 06:13 PM

Imagine only using grizzly bear skins, then to dye them black, lol.

gb64 21-03-16 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 351975)
Thanks Andy, yeah it has a bit of age to it I think but not ancient. I have just taken a pic of the inside. I'm none the wiser.
It looked much worse in the pictures on ebay I thought I was going to have to dye it as it looked really pink, but its not too bad I'll leave it well alone. I can't work out where the plume goes, should there be a little gap?

Paul I've just given it a nice brush, my two real life Gnashers are not impressed with it. It will look smart once I've sorted it out.

I have to say It hurts wearing it but I really like it, its quite fetching :D

Alli,
It might have been a Scots Guards,they don't have a plume;)

Gerard

Tigerlily 21-03-16 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 352005)
Alli,
It might have been a Scots Guards,they don't have a plume;)

Gerard

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scots Guards disallowed through lack of plume!!! thats the rule :(
Sod it, it's my bearskin, it's a Grenadiers and that's that. Humph. Girly sulk :mad::mad:

gb64 21-03-16 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 352007)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scots Guards disallowed through lack of plume!!! thats the rule :(
Sod it, it's my bearskin, it's a Grenadiers and that's that. Humph. Girly sulk :mad::mad:

Don't upset them old sweaty's!!!:eek:;)

Gerard