British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Great War Shoulder Title ID? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72019)

Roy 06-02-19 03:20 AM

Great War Shoulder Title ID?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

I picked up another nice photograph of a Great War motorcyclist in the Royal Engineers, so thought I would share a close up of the shoulder title just in case someone can identify it.

Cheers,

Roy

badjez 06-02-19 07:31 AM

Gt War title

How about T/RE/SIGNAL SERVICE?

Stephen.

manchesters 06-02-19 07:58 AM

T/RE/"COUNTY", typical of TF Royal Engineers shoulder titles.

regards

leigh kitchen 06-02-19 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 467822)
How about T/RE/SIGNAL SERVICE?

Stephen.

No blue and white armbands, the "MP" band could be "GMP" or another variation of the Military Police armband.

Roy 06-02-19 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some interesting thoughts gents.

Here is a close-up of the armband. I think (?) I can see a letter before the MP?

Cheers,

Roy

Sonofacqms 06-02-19 06:12 PM

Armband

How about "RMP"

Rob

Chacal 06-02-19 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467886)
How about "RMP"

Rob

Hi Roy

I'd agree with Rob, "RMP" - Regimental Military Police (or so I've always read it).

All the best

Graham

Roy 06-02-19 06:32 PM

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for that. Makes sense to me.

Cheerio,

Roy

Postwarden 06-02-19 09:24 PM

I may be wrong but I thought that regimental policemen wore just the letters RP but Garrison Military Police wore GMP as RPs were not in the same sense military policemen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Toby Purcell 08-02-19 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 467926)
I may be wrong but I thought that regimental policemen wore just the letters RP but Garrison Military Police wore GMP as RPs were not in the same sense military policemen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Although used sometimes during the Great War, ‘RP’ is correct for more recent times after a unified Corps of Military Police (CMP) was formed post war (from the MMP&MFP) and a clear demarcation required. However, during WW1 RMP, as described above, was more commonly used by domestic regimental police sections under a unit Provost Sergeant. In large garrisons, including tented Summer manoeuvres the battalion RMP sections were often brigaded to form garrison military police usually under an APM. As well as RMP and GMP, another common designation was RPS, or even PS for the Regimental Provost Sergeant. I contributed to a thread about such armbands here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...omment-1711694 The fact that the CMP later became the CRMP, with shoulder titles as RMP has caused some confusion subsequently.

matti467 09-02-19 08:57 AM

My personal experience in the 1980s and 90s was wearing an RP arm band whilst in the Royal Signals. It was great to wear as it stopped you being 'dicked' for random jobs when wandering around the camp area. Otherwise I marched with a sheet of white paper for one of the 'officers' real or imagined...

Toby Purcell 09-02-19 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 468241)
My personal experience in the 1980s and 90s was wearing an RP arm band whilst in the Royal Signals. It was great to wear as it stopped you being 'dicked' for random jobs when wandering around the camp area. Otherwise I marched with a sheet of white paper for one of the 'officers' real or imagined...

Yes, RP became standard in modern times. The armband was invariably in the facing colour and there was often a badge (cap or collar) between the letters. Very traditional regiments like my own had the letters cut from brass sheet by the unit armourer and then buffed smooth and polished to a high shine. Some units used short lengths of stable belt secured by an elastic strap with the letters placed thereon.

Roy 09-02-19 03:30 PM

Thank you for that concise explanation Toby.

It's a good day when one learns something new and that has certainly been my experience in reading your comments.

Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Roy