British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cross Cannons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82909)

FrankMac 25-01-21 01:04 PM

Cross Cannons

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Can anyone identify this badge. It belonged to my late father in law. He served with the Army Service Corp in WW2 and was with his medals and cap badge.
Many thanks for any help.

Bill A 25-01-21 01:10 PM

Hello FrankMac, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

manchesters 25-01-21 02:37 PM

Frank,

He wouldnt have worn that badge if he was in the RASC.

Its only worn in the Royal Artillery and its a Gunnery Instructors arm badge worn in conjunction with rank badges on the arm.

Still worn today.

regards

FrankMac 25-01-21 03:42 PM

Thanks

Hi manchesters

Thanks for the information and the prompt reply. He must have picked it up as a memento from somewhere.
It will have to stay in the box and not get mounted with his medals and cap badge.

Many thanks

Frank

High Wood 26-01-21 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankMac (Post 536371)
Hi manchesters

Thanks for the information and the prompt reply. He must have picked it up as a memento from somewhere.
It will have to stay in the box and not get mounted with his medals and cap badge.

Many thanks

Frank

I would mount it with his other badges even though he wasn't entitled to wear it. It obviously meant something to him as he kept it. People had large families in those days and it might have belonged to a family member or a good mate.

manchesters 26-01-21 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankMac (Post 536371)
Hi manchesters

Many thanks

Frank

I agree, he didnt wear it, just owned it. I own a lot of badges that I wouldnt want in a frame with the ones I wore.

regards

Home Guard 26-01-21 01:34 PM

I agree, if it came with other items keep them together.

I have a early homemade LDV arm band that came with a 51st Highland Division patch. When I asked the person I got it from about the patch she said she didn't know why that patch was with the arm band as he never served in or had any association with the 51st she knew of. In any event, I am keeping them together.

Terry

ianh67military 26-01-21 06:18 PM

Bits...

In my family alone, my Grandfathers wore KOYLI, Middx Cadets (pre WW1)Queens (WW1), Royal Signals (WW2), my father wore RA, my cousin RCT, my brother Para Regt and me Queens Regt.
Although the Army these days is tiny bear in mind that it is within memory that millions wore uniform. I have inherited items that are completly outside even the broad spectrum above. Where did my Grandfather on my Dads side get a 1906 Olympic medal?? How did Great Aunt Bulgaria have an RN sword and a set of Kings Colonials buttons ( and why was there a jar of ashes under her bed?).
Some of these questions may never be answered, but they're part of my family history. Just this week a cousin that I met at my fathers funeral sent me a set of photographs of my Grandfather and his brothers in WW1. Lots of info there I'll have to study.
Keep it all and publicise where it came from.
Ian H