British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coldstream Guards Button on Cloth Star Backing (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82687)

3battalion 12-01-21 04:30 PM

Coldstream Guards Button on Cloth Star Backing

1 Attachment(s)
Gents,

I came across this most unusual button and cloth badge combination and wondered if any members could identify how this badge / button was worn if at all?

Thanks

Paul

grenadierguardsman 12-01-21 04:50 PM

Was that not worn on the tunic epaulette.
Andy

3battalion 12-01-21 05:07 PM

Unknown Andy,but it's a good lead.

Paul

cbuehler 12-01-21 11:57 PM

The Coldstreamers had a rose, not a star, and no button, to my knowledge. The Irish Guards had a star with their button on it, but the style and embroidery is different than this.

CB

bobanodised 13-01-21 08:26 AM

Button

Pure guess, looks very old could it have been a “collar badge” worn on No1 dress iniform
Bob

grenadierguardsman 13-01-21 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 535056)
Pure guess, looks very old could it have been a “collar badge” worn on No1 dress iniform
Bob

I think your right, I have seen it somewhere ?
Andy

Hawthorn 13-01-21 11:24 AM

Difficult to tell from the images but is the button brass or silver in colour.

Simon.

3battalion 13-01-21 12:43 PM

Hard to tell but I think it's brass.

Good lead on the collar insignia given the small size of the badge.

Hawthorn 13-01-21 12:47 PM

For me, the shape of the Star backing is not right for The Coldstream and have not seen anything similar. I wonder if it could be some sort of skirt ornament for an early tunic or coatee, perhaps Lazio could tell us if this pattern button was worn by any Militia or Volunteer Unit. The button Maker may give us an indication of date.

Simon.

grenadierguardsman 13-01-21 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawthorn (Post 535073)
For me, the shape of the Star backing is not right for The Coldstream and have not seen anything similar. I wonder if it could be some sort of skirt ornament for an early tunic or coatee, perhaps Lazio could tell us if this pattern button was worn by any Militia or Volunteer Unit. The button Maker may give us an indication of date.

Simon.

Ive seen this before on a piece of uniform, im sure.
Andy

3battalion 13-01-21 03:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gents,

I appreciate all the help.

Here's a few more photos.

Paul

cbuehler 13-01-21 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawthorn (Post 535073)

Simon.

Judging from the latest photos, the button looks more like a civilian made one than a military issue and is not old enough to be early or mid 19th century.
The star which, again, is not Coldstream to my knowledge, is a coarse material cut out and not the expected embroidered type.
Of course I could be entirely wrong:o, but I just don't think this is a genuine item, rather some costumiers creation.

CB

3battalion 14-01-21 11:19 AM

CB,

You could well be right as it is unlike anything I've come across.

I wonder type of civilian button this is as it does look like a Coldstream Guards button but from what era I've got no idea?

Thanks for you input.

Paul

grenadierguardsman 25-01-21 11:27 AM

It looks similar to what is worn on the collar, on a Crimean period tunic.
Andy

btns 25-01-21 11:45 AM

I agree with cbuehler on the poor quality of the button.
Can you let me know the size of the button? It may help to date it.