British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Glider pilot wings for review. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73963)

Dominique 30-05-19 03:56 PM

Glider pilot wings for review.

3 Attachment(s)
Dear Forum ,
Real or fake ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
Thank you ,

DougSA 30-05-19 04:04 PM

I am afraid that they are not genuine.

I fell into the same 'pothole' some months ago; hence the following thread:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=70664

Dominique 30-05-19 05:35 PM

Thanks.

Your input is much appreciated.
Many thanks to you.

Frank Kelley 31-05-19 08:02 AM

Despite the attempt at "age" on the obverse, a glance at the reverse tells all.
Far too much of this rubbish is being sold as original these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominique (Post 479794)
Dear Forum ,
Real or fake ?
Any comment would be appreciated.
Thank you ,

Luc 31-05-19 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not even close to the original!

Frank Kelley 31-05-19 08:32 PM

That's certainly true, although, I dare say the asking price might be, depending upon the seller concerned.

Dominique 02-06-19 05:24 PM

Thank you for your comments Gentlemen.
A friend of mine got burned !

Frank Kelley 02-06-19 09:04 PM

Well, never mind, at least it was not you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominique (Post 480051)
Thank you for your comments Gentlemen.
A friend of mine got burned !

natal01 05-06-19 07:55 AM

I'm still none the wiser as to what constitutes "good" or "bad". Is there a place where one can consult the gold standard ? I know that the much copied Air Crew Europe Star has spawned various "How to recognise a fake " websites. Is there anything similar for wings and badges ?
Mike

Frank Kelley 05-06-19 09:17 AM

Mike, on occasion it can be obvious, if it looks new, it often is just that, I'm afraid it can come down to an almost forensic examination, although, after sometime spent looking at cloth, some badges are truly awful, the materials used and the way they are put together, they differ a great deal from original examples.
Notwithstanding, you do certainly need to spend a lot of time looking in detail at every piece of cloth that comes along that is of particular interest to you.
Hope all is well in the last outpost,
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by natal01 (Post 480276)
I'm still none the wiser as to what constitutes "good" or "bad". Is there a place where one can consult the gold standard ? I know that the much copied Air Crew Europe Star has spawned various "How to recognise a fake " websites. Is there anything similar for wings and badges ?
Mike

General Ignorance 07-06-19 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natal01 (Post 480276)
Mike

In my experience those "who know" are not keen to share their knowledge with those who don't. They say it's so fakers can't do a better job, but I have always wondered. ...

Luc 07-06-19 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Ignorance (Post 480474)
not keen to share their knowledge

No that's not the issue in my opinion. Also, there is no gold standard.

Numerous original examples are shown on this forum (threads and members albums), and many other forums as well. Also various books have been discussed on this forum that cover the subject.

I think that with a bit of research every collector has access to a wealth of knowledge. My advice would be to do you homework and make up your own mind.

castagain 07-06-19 10:28 PM

I agree with my friend Luc’s advice — start going through the threads and albums on the Forum, you’ll be able to calibrate your eye for the design, materials and construction of original badges, and better avoid the fakes.

Cheers,
Donovan

Frank Kelley 08-06-19 03:40 PM

If you have always wondered, the very best advice that I can think of, would simply be to go out and physically examine every single piece of cloth that is of particular interest to you.
A very brief glance at the badge that is the subject of this thread should be enough, does the obverse match the reverse, what are the materials used and how is the badge made, how old should the badge actually be?
It is really not always as hard as you may well think it to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Ignorance (Post 480474)
In my experience those "who know" are not keen to share their knowledge with those who don't. They say it's so fakers can't do a better job, but I have always wondered. ...