British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   National Army Museum, Chelsea - cap badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61566)

grey_green_acorn 27-04-17 03:42 PM

National Army Museum, Chelsea - cap badges

1 Attachment(s)
This is the display of "cap Badges" in the recently re-opened NAM. An eclectic mix in random order from the 1880s to date. Not all are cap badges and I suspect there are a few "restrikes" and at least one from the Birmingham Mint!

Tim

leigh kitchen 27-04-17 04:01 PM

How disappointing, not what one wants of a museum.
"It looks pretty and it's eye catching" triumphs over honesty and accuracy.

David Tremain 27-04-17 04:02 PM

A bit of an uninspiring display. Fire their designer!

David

grey_green_acorn 27-04-17 05:35 PM

Again, no attempt to provide a key to identify each badge nor place in order of precedence.!

Tim

Arnhemjim 27-04-17 06:01 PM

200 years (1794-1994) service to Great Britain and the Crown. and my eye did not pick-up the cap badge of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders anywhere in the grouping. Please correct me if I am in error. If my observation is correct, Despicable!
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

grenadierguardsman 27-04-17 06:17 PM

Chaps, get in touch with the Museum and tell them. In my opinion the archivist in charge is an arrogant individual. I emailed them back in January with reference to a badge and they haven't emailed me back yet. There supposed to within 20 working days. I have phone numerous times to complain, i actually think they don't care. Its just a job !!!!!
Andy

leigh kitchen 27-04-17 07:04 PM

By contrast I emailed the Light Infantry Committee yesterday afternoon with a badge enquiry, the mail was forwarded to the more appropriate "Rifles Heritage" and I received an extremely helpful reply this morning from a gentleman who had an obvious interest in the history of his regiment.
Good stuff.

altcar73 27-04-17 07:38 PM

The National Army Museum, is in my opinion a complete waste of time and money. Look at one of their annual reports and the number of staff they employ. Top heavy with very high executive pay. Degrees coming out of their ears. They know next to nothing about what they allegedly care for. Give you the square root of a jar of pickles and starve to death trying to get the lid off!

Dave.

Gurkha 27-04-17 08:38 PM

Sadley this is the situation in the major museums. In the past Ex officers etc were curators and staff you now have to have a degree. Whilst they may have degree's they just apply for a job with no knowledge of the museum. Hence why we are getting pink and fluffy military museums leaning more towards social rather than military history. The IWM has gone that way and so has the Nat Army museum. When I visited the NAM just befoe it closed I was appaled that the downstairs display area had become a playgroup for the local wealthy children and their nannies.
But then I suppose I'm a grumpy ole' bugger and one of the 'friends of the NAM' from when it opened!

Steve

cavalryman 27-04-17 09:17 PM

What happened to seniority? looks terrible displayed like that, though i suppose that's the future. they probably couldn't tell you who the senior Regiment was without looking it up on google. regards john

Phil2M 27-04-17 09:25 PM

Are all the fixings cut off?

grey_green_acorn 27-04-17 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 403286)
Are all the fixings cut off?

No the badges are suspended on Perspex pegs against a Perspex sheet. It is possible to see lugs and sliders.

Tim

grenadierguardsman 27-04-17 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha (Post 403273)
Sadley this is the situation in the major museums. In the past Ex officers etc were curators and staff you now have to have a degree. Whilst they may have degree's they just apply for a job with no knowledge of the museum. Hence why we are getting pink and fluffy military museums leaning more towards social rather than military history. The IWM has gone that way and so has the Nat Army museum. When I visited the NAM just befoe it closed I was appaled that the downstairs display area had become a playgroup for the local wealthy children and their nannies.
But then I suppose I'm a grumpy ole' bugger and one of the 'friends of the NAM' from when it opened!

Steve

Steve as a Friend of the Museum, would you let them know how some of us feel.
Andy

Phil2M 27-04-17 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 403289)
No the badges are suspended on Perspex pegs against a Perspex sheet. It is possible to see lugs and sliders.

Tim

Thanks, hard to see on my phone screen.

badjez 28-04-17 12:35 AM

NAM

It seems a shame that comments on this page may be read more widely and a poor impression gained of what should be a national treasure. Living too far away to attend I'll reserve comment upon the displays until I get over. I did, however, forward a link to this page for the attention of the NAM Press Office, suggesting somebody 'front up' to comment. I wonder if they will take the opportunity to explain themselves.

Stephen.