British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Badges and insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78450)

Britbadge 26-04-20 02:03 AM

Badges and insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers

Looking to purchase a copy or a copy of a copy of the following work by

Capt, P. A. Daybell: Badges and insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

Thanks,

Drew

Toby Purcell 26-04-20 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbadge (Post 507763)
Looking to purchase a copy or a copy of a copy of the following work by

Capt, P. A. Daybell: Badges and insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

Thanks,

Drew

That must be an incredibly rare book Drew, I can’t even find it listed online with any book suppliers anywhere. Have you had any luck?

Wooffy 26-04-20 07:09 PM

There is a reference in the listings of the National Army Museum to a publication of the same name, but attributed to a different author (Link here)

Badges and Insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers, compiled by F A Stevens, 1998. Ref: Archives 1998-06-154

Of course it could be a different publication entirely.

Toby Purcell 26-04-20 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooffy (Post 507870)
There is a reference in the listings of the National Army Museum to a publication of the same name, but attributed to a different author (Link here)

Badges and Insignia of the Corps of Royal Engineers, compiled by F A Stevens, 1998. Ref: Archives 1998-06-154

Of course it could be a different publication entirely.

It’s very strange, but I can’t find a single hit on that search either. I’ve been researching the British Army’s dress and insignia for almost 50-years and of all the Corps the RE has the least publicly available research material in relation to that subject.

grey_green_acorn 26-04-20 10:28 PM

I suspect that F A Stevens is Frank Stevens once editor later assistant editor of Crown Imperial. The NAM reference may be to a collection of articles from that journal rather than a published book.

Tim

mike_vee 27-04-20 05:45 AM

Here is what I posted when you asked in another thread :

"Hi guys , found a thread from 2008 that mentions "have been looking through Capt Daybells book on insignia of the RE" .

Perhaps a PM to the poster (Deejayuu) may be helpful.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=1350

The post also refere to "the booklet" , so perhaps not a 'full' book ?

Postwarden 27-04-20 10:15 AM

Tim is correct that the author is Frank Stevens. I knew he had published (I think privately) a book on RE insignia. I will see what I can find.

Jon

Britbadge 27-04-20 12:15 PM

Thank you all for the great informative feedback.

Cheers!

Drew

sapper533 27-04-20 12:17 PM

Most of my scant knowledge on RE badges comes from the great articles in Crown Imperial by Frank Stevens, still refer back to them even now.
Regards
Sean

Toby Purcell 27-04-20 08:38 PM

It’s always seemed strange to me that so little has been published about RE dress and insignia. For the RA there are three really well known, informative and easily available books. For the RE nothing! Like most others that are interested I’ve been able to glean information from a large range of other publications that show RE insignia and uniform, but that information is scattered widely. There’s certainly a gap in the market for a publisher to exploit.

54Bty 28-04-20 12:33 PM

Are the editions of "Crown Imperial" copyright?

Marc

grey_green_acorn 28-04-20 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 508083)

Marc

Good question. I have a near complete run from Number 69 (Winter 1992) to Number 108 (December 2002). Missing numbers 101,104 and 107. There are some interesting articles with illustrations. Of course some updated and improved information has since appeared through the Internet and this Forum.
Number 1 was published in 1974 and number 113 (believed to be the last issue) in 2004.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 29-04-20 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 508083)

Marc

Anybody know the answer?

Tim

mike_vee 29-04-20 08:26 PM

There are early issues 1977-1983 on eBay , each year has a copyright symbol , Crown Imperial and the year on the Editorial/contents page.

Copyright Law of the UK

Accordingly, copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works currently expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. Where the work has more than one author, the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last survivor of them.

grey_green_acorn 30-04-20 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 508306)
There are early issues 1977-1983 on eBay , each year has a copyright symbol , Crown Imperial and the year on the Editorial/contents page.

Copyright Law of the UK

Accordingly, copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works currently expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. Where the work has more than one author, the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last survivor of them.

Mike,
Thank you, that seems quite clear. I wonder if permission to put extracts on the Forum can be obtained from a former Crown Imperial society officer? Seems a shame that some valuable information will remain in obscurity.

Tim