British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Advice sought. Collars or cap badges? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220)

bess55 06-04-21 10:20 AM

Advice sought. Collars or cap badges?

5 Attachment(s)
Gents, the two attached I've had for many years and am happy they are right - unless advised otherwise. What I am unsure of, is if they are cap badges or collars? Advice appreciated.

Thank you guys

Bess

oc14 06-04-21 11:00 AM

In my opinion both are collar badges (The King's Own being an officers collar badge). There is no reason why either couldn't have been worn as cap badges although I don't think that was the original purpose for either.

PL

Alan O 06-04-21 11:27 AM

I agree.

Keith Blakeman 06-04-21 11:38 AM

It's possible, but in this case I think unlikely, the King's Own was originally gilt which has been rubbed back to base metal, in which case it would/could be a cap badge.

bess55 06-04-21 05:54 PM

Thank you guys, appreciated as ever.

Bess

KLR 07-04-21 07:21 AM

In any case, it is usually agreed that Jennens marked any OR badges (if they did make OR badges at all)!

Frank Kelley 07-04-21 07:34 AM

From the photographs, I would say the King's Own is simply a bronze OSD collar with wear to it's obverse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 545091)
It's possible, but in this case I think unlikely, the King's Own was originally gilt which has been rubbed back to base metal, in which case it would/could be a cap badge.

Alex Rice 08-04-21 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 545185)
From the photographs, I would say the King's Own is simply a bronze OSD collar with wear to it's obverse.

I agree with Frank. King's Own officer full dress cap badges were silver and I don't think they wore gilt badges, so more likely an OSD badge.
Cheers,
Alex

Keith Blakeman 08-04-21 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 545277)
I agree with Frank. King's Own officer full dress cap badges were silver and I don't think they wore gilt badges, so more likely an OSD badge.
Cheers,
Alex

An easily overlooked point, was an item actually worn. So many badges around claimed to be something that weren’t.

leigh kitchen 08-04-21 08:34 AM

"Churchill" states that the lion over lettering collar badge was worn polished on officers khaki drill, and in gilt finish by Warrant Officers.

bess55 08-04-21 11:23 AM

Thanks all, great stuff. Fairly happy they arr both collars and shall be filed accordingly.

Thank you guys.

Bess

Waterloo1815 14-04-21 04:51 PM

Similar question.

6 Attachment(s)
Guys,
I've a similar question as to a badge I recently purchased. It's had (crude) copper loops fitted in place of the missing blades. The JR GAUNT LONDON is so small it is difficult to read even with a magnifying glass! But I don't think there are any dots between the letters.
Again, I suppose this is a cap badge as opposed to a collar badge? I'm only saying this because it seems a bit large for a collar, but obviously I could be totally wrong. It was described as Edwardian, but I've no idea how to check this. Any info would be helpful.
Cheers,
Leo

Alan O 14-04-21 05:12 PM

Collars were generally lugged whilst the blades were for cap badges.

leigh kitchen 14-04-21 05:26 PM

An officer's badge perhaps described as "Edwardian" in order to represent the badge as an OR's lugged cap badge of that period rather than the later slidered version?

Waterloo1815 14-04-21 07:08 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.
I think I'll describe it in my notes as an Officers cap badge then?
Thanks again.