British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Favourite sweethearts brooch (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50287)

Drummajor 30-12-15 10:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here you are Roy, firstly I will apologise for the poor photography, I can't seem to manage close ups very well. A nice pair of Scottish Rifles badges both hallmarked silver. A gold Liverpool Scottish. A bejewelled Royal Scots I think. Lastly L - R Highland Light Infantry, Scots Guards, Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, Lovat's Scouts.
All the best Phil.

Roy 30-12-15 02:56 PM

Hi Phil,

Absolutely stunning! The Cameron Highlanders with the green enamel is especially eye catching.

Really lovely to see these, thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Roy.

Destro1918 30-12-15 07:19 PM

Sweetheart

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the poor quality of the image, but I have never seen another one.

Guards Machine Gun Regiment.

Regards
Destro

Tigerlily 30-12-15 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destro1918 (Post 337277)

Regards
Destro

Oooh gorgeous! I love it :o

Alli

GTB 31-12-15 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's amazing what one finds hiding away in drawer boxes.
A few more.

GTB

RCN 31-12-15 04:54 PM

Sweetheart Pins

6 Attachment(s)
What a wonderful idea, I have really enjoyed viewing the examples that have been posted, some every attractive pins shown!

As I have not seen any Naval examples, I will post a few of mine.

The first example is not really a sweetheart pin, rather more of a brooch, & its a nice one, of 1WW vintage.

His ship was Queen Mary, presumably the Queen Mary lost at Jutland on 31 May 1916. Unfortunately I have no idea of whom this sailor is.

RCN Bryan

cybershot 31-12-15 08:16 PM

Favourite Sweethearts

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Attached are my two favourite sweethearts.

A Victorian 6th Inniskilling probably Boer War period and an 86th Foot Royal County Down.

The 86th were amalgamated with the 83rd Foot County of Dublin in 1881 to form the Royal Irish Rifles.

Both sweethearts are Hallmarked silver.

Hope you like them.

Happy New Year to all Forum members.

Bob.

Jackhr 31-12-15 11:42 PM

2 rare type for Australians AFC & Camel Corp

3 Attachment(s)
These would be 2 of the hardest to find for Aussies and I enjoy these the most .

scotch 01-01-16 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some great badges, thanks for sharing. This one is my favourite, one of the first badges that I ever collected. Hall marked on the reverse.

Cheers Nick

Peter Brydon 01-01-16 11:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not quite my favourite but I picked this sterling silver sweethearts to King Edwards Horse at the local Antique Fair this morning.

Nice to see a number of Militaria collectors there especially Forum member Tony B.

Whist I wont be keeping this sweethearts brooch, I hope it is an omen for things to come this year.

P.B.

RCN 01-01-16 02:51 PM

Canadian Naval Sweethearts

4 Attachment(s)
I will show some of my Canadian Naval sweetheart pins.
Its very hard for me to pick a favourite[s], I like them all, that is why I collect them!

A set of rare RNCVR sweetheart pins.

The RNCVR [Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve] only existed in 1WW, disbanded in 1919, the Canadian branch of the RNVR.

Bryan

Tigerlily 01-01-16 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 337378)
What a wonderful idea, I have really enjoyed viewing the examples that have been posted, some every attractive pins shown!

As I have not seen any Naval examples, I will post a few of mine.

The first example is not really a sweetheart pin, rather more of a broach, & its a nice one, of 1WW vintage.

His ship was Queen Mary, presumably the Queen Mary lost at Jutland on 31 May 1916. Unfortunately I have no idea of whom this sailor is.

RCN Bryan

Hi Bryan, just been chatting to a friend who collects ephemera and medals to those who served on HMS Queen Mary and he tell's me your brooch is very special indeed, he has only ever seen one other come up for sale and it went for big money apparently. So well done :)
Oh and also she was the only HMS Queen Mary there has ever been.

Alli

cybershot 01-01-16 06:51 PM

Sweetheart/Old Comrades Association Badges

1 Attachment(s)
From left to right:
6th Inniskilling Dragoons
Royal Irish Regiment
4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards
5th Royal Irish Lancers

Enjoy

Bob.

RCN 01-01-16 07:26 PM

HMS Queen Mary brooch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 337508)
Hi Bryan, just been chatting to a friend who collects ephemera and medals to those who served on HMS Queen Mary and he tell's me your brooch is very special indeed, he has only ever seen one other come up for sale and it went for big money apparently. So well done :)
Oh and also she was the only HMS Queen Mary there has ever been.

Alli

Hello Alli,

Thank you very much for passing on your friend's comments concerning my Queen Mary brooch. I would appreciate if you might pass onto him that I obtained this brooch many many yrs ago, actually, as I recall, it came with a set of 1WW medals also named to an RN rating, but upon checking out his Record (when it finally became available circa 1998 or thereabouts), as it turned out, this rating was never on HMS Queen Mary, thus could not have been the rating pictured in the brooch, but perhaps a friend or even a relative that also had 1WW service in the RN. Altho I will never know his name or if he was on Queen Mary that fateful day, I have always liked the brooch & photo of him, I regard him very highly. It has been a pleasure to show him on this topic.
Best wishes for 2016!
Bryan

PS - was the brooch your friend came into contact with & noted as sold, did he know if the recipient was identified & did he go down with Queen Mary?
There were 19 survivors which is amazing considering the explosions that claimed her.

B

tonyb 01-01-16 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Destro1918 (Post 337277)

Regards
Destro

Not a commercially made item, a converted cap badge.
Tony.